Sharpes Guide problem

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Screenshot 2023-12-18 at 9.30.36 PM.png

Spent a successful day chasing bull trout with Greg Armstrong. Supervisors still work. Greg even found a couple coastal cutts.

During the day the agate guide on my 10' Sharpes spliced rod came loose. See pics. Can I expoxy it back on or do I need to replace the guide?

IMG_0918.jpeg

IMG_0919.jpeg

Dragon Mo

Keep Calm - Drink More Whisky
Forum Supporter
You could try to epoxy it (JB Weld), but I’m not sure how long that would hold up. There is a lot of flex action around the guides as you well know.

You could have a jeweler re-solder it, but you’d need to remove the guide from the rod, remove the agate from its carrier, re-solder the carrier, re-mount the agate, then re-attach the guide. Fun with varnish will ensue…

I’d lean towards replacing the guide. If you don’t want the downtime, you could try JB weld but plan on carrying a spare rod.

I used to know of an old jeweler who could pull it off at a reasonable price as you waited and watched but that was decades ago in Portland, back when the elk was still peeing in the fountain!

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
T'was me I wouldn't think twice and just replace it instead of farting around with repairs that may or may not be durable.
I think that’s what i’ll do. This is the only agate guide sharpes i have. The other sharpes have chrome guides. Some of the sites suggest that line shoots better through the larger diameter chrome guides as well.

Dave, Hang onto the agate ferrule and if you wish, I can solder it after you have changed out to a chrome guide. I can solder it if you wish and then if you change your mind it could be an option down the road. Its an offer to you and again no charge. I often come over to NW Art Glass in Redmond for supplies and such and could pick it up on one of those runs for supplies. Just a thought and an offer to repair the ferrule whether you use it or not. I love the bamboo rods I got from you and would like to give something back in return. YOU have have been very generous to me in the purchase of those rods. Jim

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Dave, Hang onto the agate ferrule and if you wish, I can solder it after you have changed out to a chrome guide. I can solder it if you wish and then if you change your mind it could be an option down the road. Its an offer to you and again no charge. I often come over to NW Art Glass in Redmond for supplies and such and could pick it up on one of those runs for supplies. Just a thought and an offer to repair the ferrule whether you use it or not. I love the bamboo rods I got from you and would like to give something back in return. YOU have have been very generous to me in the purchase of those rods. Jim
I'll take the original ferrule off the rod and give it to you to try to fix. If it works great, if it doesn't we tried...