SFR: "Shark or Orca: Which Should You Fear More?"

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Marlin…while I’ve never been in the water with an orca (I know several who have), I’ve been in the water with many different sharks…and the animal I would fear most while spear fishing at the fad bouys would be a marlin

Divad

Whitefish
For those on iPhone, open in safari and select the “aA” menu in the top left corner then “Show Reader”.

But the conclusion is:

“So if you do encounter a killer whale in the ocean, don’t worry, it’s unlikely to attack you. And if you’re still worried … perhaps consider befriending a humpback.”

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I remember going to ventura to do a triathlon and training in the open ocean in my wet suit, the first few days freaked me out. I kept hearing that Jaws beat in my head, and figured I must look like a wounded seal (meal).

Last edited:

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Bull sharks would get my nod for most intimidating shark. [These are gray reef sharks from a feeding frenzy that I was able to observe at Osprey Reef off the Great Barrier Reef. I am top middle (by the float) in this picture with my camera.]
SharkFeedWDiversTAKU1035 copy.jpg

I would be more worried about an estuarine croc than anything. They are clever and relentless. This is a 16' male sunning himself along the bank of the Daintree River, Queensland.
MaleCroc9006Trim.jpg
And this is what the business end looks like.
MaleCrocJaws9013Trim.jpg
Steve

Tallguy

Steelhead
Agree on the crocodiles, they are scary.. rumored at a couple places I surfed, was scarier than years of surfing GWS territory in NorCal when I was in school.

Good story about Ron Elliot, the toughest, ballsiest dude I have ever heard of:

Decades of urchin diving completely alone in foggy dark lonely Farallon islands, 400 or so GWS encounters, just one bite. Good book called "Devils Teeth" about the Farallons, with more Ron info. Also great ling cod and rockfish fishing there, one of the coolest places I have fished.

mems

Steelhead
Don’t like being in the food chain. In the boat I am an apex predator. In the water it is not an even match. Surfing tiger sharks are the biggest threat here in Hawaii. Diving you see reef sharks in a frequent basis but they want your fish and not you. Blue water oceanic white tips and Galapagos sharks are a good reason to stay in the boat. Killer whales are mammals and pretty smart on identifying prey. Now crocks and gators are pretty much a good reason to avoid wading in the bayou and swamps of the south. Down there we saw plenty of bull sharks and I caught a small one. Pretty crazy how far they can travel in fresh water. But number one on my list is a big hungry tiger that bites first and asks questions later.

FerrousTortoise

Steelhead
Spear fishing out in Hawaii it was always the grey reef sharks that freaked me out the most. They always seemed to be the most aggressive and most unpredictable.

Uptonogood

PNW raised
I don’t believe there’s ever been a documented incident of an Orca attack on humans, could be wrong. Great white sharks are relatively low in numbers and somewhat widespread. Bull sharks are numerous in warmer waters, know for their aggressiveness and range from marine waters up into fresh water. Nile crocodile, on the other hand, kill over 300 people yearly. My guide in Zimbabwe described an incident of a poacher they were pursuing who dove into a River and was killed by a croc. Horrible story. This photo was taken from an 18 ft boat on the Chobe River, Botswana. Nasty looking beast, eh?

Attachments

• 77DEA448-3770-46D5-BCA4-458CB5BF7D92.jpeg
    77DEA448-3770-46D5-BCA4-458CB5BF7D92.jpeg
    773.5 KB · Views: 22

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Fun, tongue-in-cheek (but with solid information) article from the NYT on your risk of being attacked by a great white shark or an orca.
Steve
Well given the context of this group we are clearly more likely to be gobbled up by occasion. Because where we fish ain't got no great whites. We do have salmon sharks which I understand closely related to great whites but not the same.
So all you beach fishermen be careful with dwindling chinook stocks orcas might look for a new food source and fly fishermen could be an easy target.

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Well given the context of this group we are clearly more likely to be gobbled up by occasion. Because where we fish ain't got no great whites. We do have salmon sharks which I understand closely related to great whites but not the same.
So all you beach fishermen be careful with dwindling chinook stocks orcas might look for a new food source and fly fishermen could be an easy target.
Great Whites include the west coast of the US in their range. Bites are rarer than lightning strikes, and I'm only staying out of the water because it's cold.

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I don’t believe there’s ever been a documented incident of an Orca attack on humans, could be wrong. Great white sharks are relatively low in numbers and somewhat widespread. Bull sharks are numerous in warmer waters, know for their aggressiveness and range from marine waters up into fresh water. Nile crocodile, on the other hand, kill over 300 people yearly. My guide in Zimbabwe described an incident of a poacher they were pursuing who dove into a River and was killed by a croc. Horrible story. This photo was taken from an 18 ft boat on the Chobe River, Botswana. Nasty looking beast, eh?
I think there have been a couple attacks from Orcas in captivity. One in BC, and the Tillicum attack (maybe more than one?) in Florida.

Uptonogood

PNW raised
I think there have been a couple attacks from Orcas in captivity. One in BC, and the Tillicum attack (maybe more than one?) in Florida.
That’s my memory, too. I should ha ve specified “wild” Orcas.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I fear the Puget Sound kraken.
After lifting this thing and feeling how heavy it was, it it latched on to you I think you’d be in a bit of trouble trying to get it off of you.
SF

EBF0C670-82FC-4C2E-B077-D962FFEAD75D.jpeg

Wadin' Boot

Badly tied flies, mediocre content
Forum Supporter
The times also had a great pieces about feral pigs and donkeys keeping crocs and mountain lions respectively well fed. I'm gonna go with as long as your buddy resembles a pig or a donkey (or both), and your buddy is with you and slower than you, you have nothing to fear.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
I fear the Puget Sound kraken.
After lifting this thing and feeling how heavy it was, it it latched on to you I think you’d be in a bit of trouble trying to get it off of you.
SF

View attachment 27819
I remember seeing these pics back when y'all encountered it!
I'm a tough person to scare; I keep an eye on sea mammals, never even think about sharks in PS... but I would have peed my waders if this washed up against me in the surf!!

Chucker

Steelhead
I heard a story of a guy who was followed by an orca (a southern resident) whilst swimming back to shore after a dive off San Juan island. The orca was so close behind him that it may have been nipping at the ends of his fins, and his buddies on shore were going nuts but he had no idea that it was there. I think that if they wanted to attack you they could, but they just don’t.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Fun, tongue-in-cheek (but with solid information) article from the NYT on your risk of being attacked by a great white shark or an orca.
Steve

Both would be scary to be in the water with but I'd chose orca over a GW.

Watched a Nat Geo series a while back called the Secret Life of Whales. In one episode photographer Brian Skerry is diving in shallow water with a pod of orcas in New Zealand that specialize in hunting stingrays. He was nervous since no one had ever been in the water with these particular orcas. He was stunned when the lead female approached him, made clear eye contact, and dropped half a stingray on the bottom directly in front of him. The orca then hovered, looking at him like " well, aren't you going to eat?". The whole sequence is on film and worth watching the entire series to see just that.

Found an interview on the NZ sequence: