Seratella nymphs

Mark Melton

Life of the Party
These photos are of Serratella micheneri and Seratella levis. Both were collected in the Russian River from late March to late August. They were usually found in fairly fast water on large cobbles. They range in size from 5-7 mm excluding cerci. Some information on the species can be found here;

3282.jpeg Mark Melton
Serratella micheneri male

3283.jpeg
Serratella micheneri males

3284.jpeg
Serratella micheneri female

picture_2030_large.jpg
Serratella levis male

picture_2031_large.jpg
Serratella levis male

3285.jpeg
Serratella levis
female

3286.jpeg
Serratella levis female

3287.jpeg
Serratella levis male and female

Last edited:

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
These photos are of Serratella micheneri and Seratella levis. Both were collected in the Russian River from late March to late August. They were usually found in fairly fast water on large cobbles. They range in size from 5-7 mm excluding cerci. Some information on the species can be found here;

View attachment 69059 Mark Melton
Serratella micheneri male

View attachment 69060
Serratella micheneri males

View attachment 69061
Serratella micheneri female

View attachment 69062
Serratella levis male

View attachment 69063
Serratella levis male

View attachment 69064
Serratella levis
female

View attachment 69065
Serratella levis female

View attachment 69066
Serratella levis male and female
This is the mayfly that warrants the purchase of coq de leon and/or Brahma hne saddles in all the colors!

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
This is the mayfly that warrants the purchase of coq de leon and/or Brahma hne saddles in all the colors!
Yes, but I think with a hare's mask and partridge skin there is enough resemblance a trout can imagine (impressionism) they are seeing any of the nymphs @Mark Melton has been kind enough to share with us. I used to figure the hares ear was a caddis, but the more I see of Mark's images, the more confidence I get they can see a mayfly as well. Close enough in the tumbling, moderately pressured waters I fish, to trigger a strike before it gets away.

Attachments

• 20230614_bhgrhe.jpg
    20230614_bhgrhe.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230610_drkhe.jpg
    20230610_drkhe.jpg
    425.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yes, but I think with a hare's mask and partridge skin there is enough resemblance a trout can imagine (impressionism) they are seeing any of the nymphs @Mark Melton has been kind enough to share with us. I used to figure the hares ear was a caddis, but the more I see of Mark's images, the more confidence I get they can see a mayfly as well. Close enough in the tumbling, moderately pressured waters I fish, to trigger a strike before it gets away.

Yes, hare and partridge work just the same, but I sure do love the mottling on those Brahma and Cog de Leon hen saddles from Whiting.

I think those flies could be either a caddis or a mayfly. I was thinking about that the other day, especially with that Duracell Jig I posted in the perdigon thread. I was wondering what they thought the tail was on that fly if they are taking it as a caddis. I thought maybe it looked like the long antannea that many caddis pupa have. This thought was prompted by a heavy grannom hatch taking place that day, and the Duracell Jig catching a fish on literally every cast.

Should be able to see them flying upstream in this picture.
20230606_163824.jpg

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Yes, hare and partridge work just the same, but I sure do love the mottling on those Brahma and Cog de Leon hen saddles from Whiting.

I think those flies could be either a caddis or a mayfly. I was thinking about that the other day, especially with that Duracell Jig I posted in the perdigon thread. I was wondering what they thought the tail was on that fly if they are taking it as a caddis. I thought maybe it looked like the long antannea that many caddis pupa have. This thought was prompted by a heavy grannom hatch taking place that day, and the Duracell Jig catching a fish on literally every cast.

View attachment 69206
That is a beautiful place. I would imagine that each of us also has a way we hold our tongue when presenting our favorites that also comes into play. :)

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846

View attachment 69206
Ya got spots on your lens… 😉😁