September Fly Tying Challange ~ Late Summer Steelhead Flies

Divad

Whitefish
D3C678DE-C3C2-4CC5-BF58-71DC06BDEB6E.jpeg
The only fly you need for September and October. Is it an October Caddis, Veiled Egg or maybe even confused for a saltwater shrimp they’ve gorged on.

Either way it’s my most productive fly for head this time of year. Cutties LOVE it too.

A farmer on eBay had his birds for sale and happy I pulled the trigger.

283CFD71-EE8A-4AC4-9768-E9FE130D62B5.jpeg
(By the way there is one skin left!)

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
View attachment 82039
The only fly you need for September and October. Is it an October Caddis, Veiled Egg or maybe even confused for a saltwater shrimp they’ve gorged on.

Either way it’s my most productive fly for head this time of year. Cutties LOVE it too.

A farmer on eBay had his birds for sale and happy I pulled the trigger.

View attachment 82041
(By the way there is one skin left!)
Partridge?

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The Morning Thunder is one of my reliable flies. It worked on the lower Deschutes last week. Did a five-day float with my brother-in-law and had a great trip. We ended up scheduling the trip on two non-motorized days at the end of the week. Jet boats pulled out on Wednesday afternoon and that opened up some nice campsites on the lower river. No photo of the fish, she needed to be back in the river and my phone was in the sling pack. The rule is that the fly has to be off the end of the line by noon. I also tie an Evening Thunder that I dreamed up. That’s for another post. IMG_3495.jpegIMG_3492.jpegIMG_3493.jpeg

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
The Morning Thunder is one of my reliable flies. It worked on the lower Deschutes last week. Did a five-day float with my brother-in-law and had a great trip. We ended up scheduling the trip on two non-motorized days at the end of the week. Jet boats pulled out on Wednesday afternoon and that opened up some nice campsites on the lower river. No photo of the fish, she needed to be back in the river and my phone was in the sling pack. The rule is that the fly has to be off the end of the line by noon. I also tie an Evening Thunder that I dreamed up. That’s for another post. View attachment 83308View attachment 83309View attachment 83310
Love that color combo, especially when wet.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
best summer steelhead flies around!

yJCmPIF.jpg

especially when you're not targeting them!
Tuna live bait hooks?