Semi local lake today…..

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
83 miles NW from home…..semi local. Calm but foggy all day, lots of fishers, most got skunked, some with a few. I worked hard for 3/5….C&R’d two nice rainbows, one skinny dark cutt. Broke off what felt like one of the recently stocked big boys….two nasty head shakes and bye bye fly! No bobber action, casting and stripping. Just nice to be on the water!

RCF

Life of the Party
Anybody checking GPS coordinates? It definitely wouldn’t be hotspotting since it wasn’t hot!!

My understanding is PNWFF automatically strips that info from every pic upload. Did this from initial setup of the site...

@Evan B correct me please if I am wrong...

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Trying to understand the unwritten guidelines...

Is there a rule on how far away the lake is before you can hot-spot? For example, if I fish Hebgen can I name it? or is it just "a lake 700 miles to the East"?
Isn't this particular case "cold spotting?"

Divad

Whitefish
Pro tip on lakes stocked within a month or so, treat them as you would poling a salt flat or cruising for pinks. Standing is best and watching for surface disturbances or outright seeing the fish. If sonar, side scan. Shallow edges are 👌I saw a group of 50+ jumbos in that lake grouped conga line style, while others were in pods of 2-8. For the most part they wont acclimate to depth for a while and will be 2-5ft.

Stripping baskets help a lot to be quick on the draw, I had a blast putting a dozen on the 4wt Iconoglass. I saw mostly all the boats in the deep section striking out, thankfully the fog kept me hidden.

Divad

Whitefish
I forgot to mention this guy…..he kicked all of our butts!! Divad had an unfair advantage….he had two trout sniffing dogs on board! One would bark then the other was on point….cast this way human!! I gotta get me one…or two! It was nice bs’n with you.
😆 The Weimaraner does actually listen for rises and will stare in the direction they occur, it’s a loophole in the regs. He’s cracked out on fishing.

Nice running into you too. Let’s hope more get stocked around soon!

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
good job getting out.
I am 2 weeks into my achilles surgery.
I won't see water till April so I will live thru reports.
Good luck with healing up, any PT in this ordeal? Be well//Pat

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Pro tip on lakes stocked within a month or so, treat them as you would poling a salt flat or cruising for pinks. Standing is best and watching for surface disturbances or outright seeing the fish. If sonar, side scan. Shallow edges are 👌I saw a group of 50+ jumbos in that lake grouped conga line style, while others were in pods of 2-8. For the most part they wont acclimate to depth for a while and will be 2-5ft.

Stripping baskets help a lot to be quick on the draw, I had a blast putting a dozen on the 4wt Iconoglass. I saw mostly all the boats in the deep section striking out, thankfully the fog kept me hidden.

Another pro tip. If this is the lake @Kfish and I hit a couple weekends back, follow @Divad advice above but leave the rod at home. I netted one off the surface when we were there as it leisurely swam past the boat :).

Divad

Whitefish
Another pro tip. If this is the lake @Kfish and I hit a couple weekends back, follow @Divad advice above but leave the rod at home. I netted one off the surface when we were there as it leisurely swam past the boat :).
Most likely is lol! You know I think I might of saw that same fish. Had a long chat with one of the homeowners who motioned me over to watch it fin out around his dock. Only fish on the lake I saw doing that.

Otters should nab it up pretty soon. My dog wanted to too.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Most likely is lol! You know I think I might of saw that same fish. Had a long chat with one of the homeowners who motioned me over to watch it fin out around his dock. Only fish on the lake I saw doing that.

Otters should nab it up pretty soon. My dog wanted to too.

I hit that lake for 30-45 min again on Saturday but never found the jumbos. They had moved on from the location they were the weekend before. Wish I had more time to search them out.

Last edited: