Seeking Road Trip Ideas!

Keeks

Smolt
Hey everyone. My husband and I are trying to plan a trip this summer that is a little more extensive/fun/special than the 1 night airbnb getaways in Western WA that have been our go-to during Covid. I'm hoping for some ideas! Here are some criteria:
  • Within a few days drive of Seattle--OR, Northern CA, ID, MT, WY, BC...
  • Doable in 7-9 days
  • This will mostly be an "outdoor" trip. We're pretty covid cautious so good restaurants, museums, etc aren't a priority right now. (but we can handle with driving through/stopping for supplies in "less covid cautious" places ;))
  • Good fishing (obviously!), particularly with a great guide outfit that we could spend a day with and then fish on our own a bit as well.
  • Not completely overrun by tourists in the summer (this is a big one!!!)
  • Cool geological, paleontological, botanical, zoological or otherwise natural attractions. My husband tolerates fishing but wouldn't enjoy a trip that's all about fishing (unfortunately 🙃). I'm a science teacher and he is a biogeochemist turned gardener so we spend a lot of time birding, tidepooling, and hunched over trying to identify wildflowers.
Some ideas we have so far--the Klamath Siskyou region, NE WA (I've always wanted to visit the Stonerose fossil site in Republic), the Redwoods, Elk River, BC. Anyway, maybe this is way too specific, but I thought I'd see if the good people of PNWFF had some ideas :)

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
If you use Bend as a home base, you have both rivers and lakes you can fish with or without guides. Some of the rivers are The Deschutes, Crooked River, The Metolius, Fall River ... and others. Some of the lakes include East Lake, Davis Lake, Crane Prairie, Wickiup ... and others.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Also in central OR, John Day fossil beds, painted hills, lots of bassin'

We did the Redwoods as a family last summer and while it was phenomenal as a camping/huge tree/family trip, it wouldn't make a great fishing trip.

Griswald

Steelhead
If you use Bend as a home base, you have both rivers and lakes you can fish with or without guides. Some of the rivers are The Deschutes, Crooked River, The Metolius, Fall River ... and others. Some of the lakes include East Lake, Davis Lake, Crane Prairie, Wickiup ... and others.
This. The Metolius is one of the most beautiful rivers you will fish. Visit the Camp Sherman store for great sandwiches and pick up some flies. Campgrounds fill early!

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Bend area has a lot of great hiking. East lake is good for fishing while the volcanic site is interesting to non fishers. Fishing opportunities in the area are abundant. High desert museum is cool. Some folks play golf around here too.
The Dry falls museum is pretty awesome for the science curious, and the fishing in the area ain't bad.

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I second the vote for the High Desert Museum. (Hell - the whole area is a volcanic museum!) Just be careful - if you're an outdoor enthusiast, Bend can spoil everywhere else for you.

Keeks

Smolt
This. The Metolius is one of the most beautiful rivers you will fish. Visit the Camp Sherman store for great sandwiches and pick up some flies. Campgrounds fill early!
Any campgrounds in particular you would recommend? Or any experience with the various cabins/lodges/"rv resorts" around there?

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
If you do go with Bend:
My husband and I went there for our 20th, and other than fishing, we did a brewpub & distillery tour, which was interesting and tasty. And we booked a guided starlight canoe trip on a new moon night. Pretty freaky when everyone turned their headlamps off in the total darkness - it was pretty fun! (Although there was that horrible first 20 min at dusk with fish rising everywhere and no fly rod 😫)

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Any campgrounds in particular you would recommend? Or any experience with the various cabins/lodges/"rv resorts" around there?
I don't know about RV resorts, but I've stayed at Eagle Crest for years. Granted, the grounds are lovely, the units are nestled into the various golf courses (damn!) and is an easy walk down to the Deschutes which practically wraps the property... but if you can overlook these obvious drawbacks it just might do in a pinch.

You can camp at lots of places along the Metolius (I don't know if these can be reserved in advance) and there are also campgrounds along the upper Crooked and at the reservoir in John Day. (If you go to the latter, check out the ones that are on the long dirt road leading away from the more 'developed' campground!)

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Hey everyone. My husband and I are trying to plan a trip this summer that is a little more extensive/fun/special than the 1 night airbnb getaways in Western WA that have been our go-to during Covid. I'm hoping for some ideas! Here are some criteria:
  • Within a few days drive of Seattle--OR, Northern CA, ID, MT, WY, BC...
  • Doable in 7-9 days
  • This will mostly be an "outdoor" trip. We're pretty covid cautious so good restaurants, museums, etc aren't a priority right now. (but we can handle with driving through/stopping for supplies in "less covid cautious" places ;))
  • Good fishing (obviously!), particularly with a great guide outfit that we could spend a day with and then fish on our own a bit as well.
  • Not completely overrun by tourists in the summer (this is a big one!!!)
  • Cool geological, paleontological, botanical, zoological or otherwise natural attractions. My husband tolerates fishing but wouldn't enjoy a trip that's all about fishing (unfortunately 🙃). I'm a science teacher and he is a biogeochemist turned gardener so we spend a lot of time birding, tidepooling, and hunched over trying to identify wildflowers.
Some ideas we have so far--the Klamath Siskyou region, NE WA (I've always wanted to visit the Stonerose fossil site in Republic), the Redwoods, Elk River, BC. Anyway, maybe this is way too specific, but I thought I'd see if the good people of PNWFF had some ideas :)
I still haven’t made it to Crater Lake, but I want to. It seems like there’s a variety of cool nature things to see and do around there, including a bit of fishing.

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Just drive south out of Bend and there is no end to the interesting things and parks to see - mostly related to volcanos. Crater Lake, The Needles, Lava Lands...

Tallguy

Steelhead
Spend some time fishing the nature conservancy section of the McCloud and camping down there.. Some call it holy water, it has its days. Be there at dawn for a walk in permit, or try and reserve a cabin slot with TNC. Can be combined with Hat creek, the Pit, etc..

RCF

Life of the Party
Lots of great recommendations for Bend - as there should be. Been there many times and will continue to go back.

Thought I would throw out a couple of others as food for thought.

Glacier Park to Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper

Rocky Mountain Fly Highway - Idaho Highway 20. A video out there ( same name) that is quite well done to get a preview.

DoesItFloat

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Just planned an early summer Montana trip from central Oregon - there are all kinds of great camps and places to stay along the way. DM me if you want some specifics.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Suggest you line up a couple of different trips a good distance apart...wait to see what the smoke conditions are like in the respective areas. We had weeks of high smoke levels in Deschutes County last summer, at one point had the worse air quality in the entire country.