Second fishing trip in my new truck

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Don't let anyone rain on your parade @Matt Paluch . I'm genuinely interested in hearing more as you own it over the long term. Every truck from every manufacturer has issues. There's no perfect vehicle.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
1978 I bought a C10 heavy half, 350 4bbl, 4 on the floor, loved it…

7.3 diesel excursion is currently my favorite rig I've owned. 19 mpg if I stay on the paved. Greener than my Ecoboost without the washing. Not to mention I can tow a house off it's foundation and the truck doesn't even know it.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
7.3 diesel excursion is currently my favorite rig I've owned. 19 mpg if I stay on the paved. Greener than my Ecoboost without the washing. Not to mention I can tow a house off it's foundation and the truck doesn't even know it.

My 99 F250 with 7.3 is the best vehicle I've ever owned. She's not shiny and new, but at 192k is barely broken in, and as you mentioned, will pull anything I ever need to pull as well as stuff I'd never need to pull. Absolutely love that truck

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Glad you posted. Will be curious to read more long term fishing/outdoors reports & photos. Seeing it out in nature is kinda awesome in an oddball way.

Cybertruck is not my jam for a few different reasons. But that doesn't mean it's not for others. I'm genuinely curious to see one in real life sometime and I would happily accept a ride in one to check it out.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Glad you posted. Will be curious to read more long term fishing/outdoors reports & photos. Seeing it out in nature is kinda awesome in an oddball way.

Cybertruck is not my jam for a few different reasons. But that doesn't mean it's not for others. I'm genuinely curious to see one in real life sometime and I would happily accept a ride in one to check it out.

That's kinda how I feel about them. They don't necessarily appeal to me a whole lot, but I still find the general concept cool as hell and would love to check one out.

Ultimately I don't give two shits what a vehicle looks like if it does what I need it to do, so I'm definitely not against them whatsoever. Mostly just way out of my budget at this point so it's just on the list of cool shit that I can't afford lol

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My 99 F250 with 7.3 is the best vehicle I've ever owned. She's not shiny and new, but at 192k is barely broken in, and as you mentioned, will pull anything I ever need to pull as well as stuff I'd never need to pull. Absolutely love that truck

I've totally seen the light. I'm 7.3 for life now. I found a total time capsule with low miles. It's honestly the best auto purchase I've ever made. It's the only auto purchase I've made that is actually increasing in value as time passes. I put a hydra tuner on it and run some mild daily driver tunes and it consistently exceeds expectations on economy and capability. Such a great motor. Plus when the apocalypse comes I'll burn whatever I can find in it. In my research on compression motors I was surprised to find the first one's were intended to run on vegetable oil rather than petroleum.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I've totally seen the light. I'm 7.3 for life now. I found a total time capsule with low miles. It's honestly the best auto purchase I've ever made. It's the only auto purchase I've made that is actually increasing in value as time passes. I put a hydra tuner on it and run some mild daily driver tunes and it consistently exceeds expectations on economy and capability. Such a great motor. Plus when the apocalypse comes I'll burn whatever I can find in it. In my research on compression motors I was surprised to find the first one's were intended to run on vegetable oil rather than petroleum.

Yeah I've owned mine for going on 4 years now and it's been incredible. Only put about 20k miles on it as I don't drive a ton. I had decided I wanted a 7.3 and was specifically shopping for this truck, and I was blown away at what they were going for. Halfway decent 99-02 models were consistently 20k or more.

Ended up stumbling onto this one by accident. One family owned since new. Mom originally bought it then son took it over. Son was a major gear head. He upgraded literally every part he possibly could, and absolutely babied it. When I went to look at it it was sitting in his shop. His shop was so clean and organized that one could eat dinner off the floor. That gave me confidence right away.

Mine had a TS 6 position chip, and I run it at max setting and basically just drive it like an old lady. She will scare me when I put my foot to the floor, but no need for that at my age. My only "complaint" was that I specifically did not want a lifted truck, and this one is lifted on 37" tires. However, for 10k cash I wasn't going to make an issue of it and actually once I got used to driving it I now really like the high view point.

Coming from a 2000 Dodge Ram gasser this thing is so much better made overall. The interior of my Dodge was just cheap garbage that fell apart over time. The interior on this truck was damn near new when I bought it and hasn't changed at all.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yeah I've owned mine for going on 4 years now and it's been incredible. Only put about 20k miles on it as I don't drive a ton. I had decided I wanted a 7.3 and was specifically shopping for this truck, and I was blown away at what they were going for. Halfway decent 99-02 models were consistently 20k or more.

Ended up stumbling onto this one by accident. One family owned since new. Mom originally bought it then son took it over. Son was a major gear head. He upgraded literally every part he possibly could, and absolutely babied it. When I went to look at it it was sitting in his shop. His shop was so clean and organized that one could eat dinner off the floor. That gave me confidence right away.

Mine had a TS 6 position chip, and I run it at max setting and basically just drive it like an old lady. She will scare me when I put my foot to the floor, but no need for that at my age. My only "complaint" was that I specifically did not want a lifted truck, and this one is lifted on 37" tires. However, for 10k cash I wasn't going to make an issue of it and actually once I got used to driving it I now really like the high view point.

Coming from a 2000 Dodge Ram gasser this thing is so much better made overall. The interior of my Dodge was just cheap garbage that fell apart over time. The interior on this truck was damn near new when I bought it and hasn't changed at all.
You scored. I agree on the tire size. 33" is adequate on these trucks. Better mileage and better driving. You aren't going to off-road them. They are way heavy for that so why bother making them tipsy. I have a good spring source of you ever want to come down in height.

Matt Paluch

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
A novel idea- a greenhouse that can be moved to the best sunlight!
So that is one thing that I'll mention is kind of a hassle. The windshield is so big that I have to use a 2 piece sun shade. The glass roof for the rear seat came with a sun shade that fits nicely. It's not that big of a deal, but I only use the sun shade for the windshield when it will be parked for a while. There is an option for the truck to automatically turn on the A/C when the cab reaches a certain temperature. Heat and intense sun are things we have to always remember in both Moses and Soap Lake.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I looooooooove my F150, but would go for one of those diesel Excursions if the opportunity ever presented itself. They just go for a premium nowadays.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I looooooooove my F150, but would go for one of those diesel Excursions if the opportunity ever presented itself. They just go for a premium nowadays.

I keep track of them if you're looking. I always know where there is a couple in the northwest.

GOTY

Steelhead
Show some respect for that Dodge. It's not every day a man can find a truck where neither the ignition nor tailgate work.

Not to mention that truck bed was the ideal height to safely fall out of and land face first into Puget Sound without dying.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
So that is one thing that I'll mention is kind of a hassle. The windshield is so big that I have to use a 2 piece sun shade. The glass roof for the rear seat came with a sun shade that fits nicely. It's not that big of a deal, but I only use the sun shade for the windshield when it will be parked for a while. There is an option for the truck to automatically turn on the A/C when the cab reaches a certain temperature. Heat and intense sun are things we have to always remember in both Moses and Soap Lake.

If it translates into low glare and good visibility it's worth it. I've driven some vehicles like the f150 and the windshield angle especially when dusty can basically blind you. I don't know if it's cause I'm tall but I'm really surprised the design made it to market. It's legit dangerous in some light.