Seattle I5 Corridor Rabbits.

the_chemist

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
It seems like the rabbit population has exploded in the last few years. Growing up in the 90s and early 00s I could count the times I saw a wild rabbit on one hand. Now they seem to be everywhere. I assume these were pets that got lose? 20230529_064837.jpg

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
As a teenager in north seattle in the 70's, I raised rabbits to sell, and we often would have wild and escaped domestic visitors. Mom still lives in the house and says it just remarkable how many of the little brown rabbits are around now, after years of not seeing any.

BriGuy

Life of the Party
Now you jinxed me. I'm just getting the gardens established.

There sure seems to be a LOT more in Thurston County, all the wild, brown ones. Even our visiting psycho killer cat doesn't have much effect, although she did kill a baby about 2 weeks ago.

Ironically, the only garden victim so far has been a little catnip plant. Hmm...

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
I count them on the side of the road on the way down the hill every morning, saw 3 today. If your early enough... before 730am they are hanging on the edge of cover next to the road. They are either the native brush rabbit or Eastern cottontail. I can't tell but both are open to hunt year round. I'm going to thwack one soon.

CRO

Steelhead
After over 35 years growing a garden here I was forced to put up a fence because of the population explosion of eastern cotton tails here. I remember a few years ago it was dead possums on the road everywhere. Now I rarely see one. Hope this is just a spike in the rabbit population. $100 for fencing and posts has worked to protect vegetables.

the_chemist

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Now you jinxed me. I'm just getting the gardens established.

There sure seems to be a LOT more in Thurston County, all the wild, brown ones. Even our visiting psycho killer cat doesn't have much effect, although she did kill a baby about 2 weeks ago.

Ironically, the only garden victim so far has been a little catnip plant. Hmm...
Ya my chives now look like a patch of mowed grass.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Definitely a lot more in recent years. I’ve had my place for 35 years and never really used to see them. Now I have multiples hanging out in my yard daily.
Leaving early for fishing there are rabbits running around all over the neighborhood. The beach I fished yesterday has a big grassy area up on top of it and there must have been 7-8 rabbits grazing up there as I drove in.
The coyotes must be eating well. They might also be eating all the cats people report missing. The lack of cats might explain some of the rabbit population explosion.
SF

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have those big snowshoe rabbits here on the tundra and the population has just exploded in recent years. I am hell on rabbits with my .22 air rifle and 12 ga shotgun but am simply outnumbered. They like to graze late in the evening just as it is getting dark, often making a fatal mistake. I can throw a bunny carcass out in the field and in 3 hours there will be nothing left but a ring of fuzz. My ravens and turkey vultures are well fed!

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Saw a coyote chase one across a fairway at Lake Padden golf course last Wednesday. A few holes later the coyote's started yipping. Pretty sure they got that rabbit.
We have a ton in the yard. The dogs has gotten some real young ones. I have thought about shooting them while shooting the bow but I'm not sure what I'd do with the little falla once I shot it.
The number here shot up around 2019. It appears the coyote population is increasing as well.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Lots of rabbits in kenmore area and around north end lake Washington. Don’t see the raccoons and possums like I use to. Coyotes have been sparse too.

the_chemist

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Lots of rabbits in kenmore area and around north end lake Washington. Don’t see the raccoons and possums like I use to. Coyotes have been sparse too.
Ya I actually saw a ferrit or weasel take a rabbit on the Burke-Gilman trail there a few years back. I've seen a reasonable amount of coyotes using the creek/greenbelt in my backyard.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Saw this too, that's where I learned rabbits really do make that high pitch squeel like the game calls

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
remember a few years ago it was dead possums on the road everywhere. Now I rarely see one.
Same here, with my dogs running them to ground out back and dead possums on roads, now rarely see any. Curious as to why. Don't see any raccoons around the area now either. Many squirrels and Cottontails though.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Wait, are these ubiquitous cottontail rabbits that I've seen everywhere all my life not native to the PNW? I thought they are. If not, I've got a lot of work to do trying to sharpen my eyesight and steady my aim. I was going to wage war on the non-native gray squirrels that have gradually been invading my neighborhood. We've had in increase in rabbits, but I thought it's because I fenced my backyard to keep deer out. It keeps the coyotes and foxes out as well, making the yard kind of a rabbit haven. The great horned owls probably get a few at night, but they hardly make a noticeable dent in the rabbit population.

Thirty years ago possums were everywhere in western WA, but I see very few any more. Same with skunks. I've smelled on a few times in the last year or so, but I bet I've gone over a decade without seeing one as roadkill or smelling their presence.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Same with skunks. I've smelled on a few times in the last year or so, but I bet I've gone over a decade without seeing one as roadkill or smelling their presence.
I’ve noticed a definite increase in smelling skunks while driving around ever since Washington legalized recreational cannabis use. 😃