Seattle Area Trout Spots

pahnoor

Just Hatched
Hi. I'm pretty new to fly fishing. Trying to find a decent spot around Seattle to catch some trout. So far I've tried a few spots in the Middle Snoqualmie Fork and caught one small rainbow. Problem is, I feel like a lot of the places I find are too deep and wide and difficult to traverse.

Anybody know of any good spots? :)

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
The tried and proven true responses:
Go check at the fly shops to get some intel on what might be fishing well. Buy some flies.
Per OMJ, Get a gazette, a copy of the regs, and just go. You will start to learn where fish are and are not (some westside streams don't have lots of food all year round). In your travels you will start to notice cars at pullouts and meet people.
Not many folks gonna give up a hot spot in view, but you might get a PM.
Enjoy the journey, and welcome to the forum!

pahnoor

Just Hatched
The tried and true responses:
Go check at the fly shops to get some intel on what might be fishing well. Buy some flies.
Per OMJ, Get a gazette, a copy of the regs, and just go. You will start to learn where fish are and are not (some westside streams don't have lots of food all year round). In your travels you will start to notice cars at pullouts and meet people.
Not many folks gonna give up a hot spot in view, but you might get a PM.
Enjoy the journey, and welcome to the forum!
Thanks. I figured nobody would want to give up a decent spot lol but thought I'd ask. Guess I will keep skunked at random spots until I come up with something good lol

flybill

Life of the Party
Trout fishing is best in lakes here on the wet side. The Forks of the Snoqualmie fish best, I prefer the middle fork, in August and September.

The Puget Sound reference is for sea run cutthroat trout which is a fantastic fishery and available year round. Learn the tides and get out there. South sound fishes best! Stop by a fly shop, Gig Harbor Fly Shop, Avid or wherever and go. I've been doing it for years and fish with some guys who have done in 2 or 3 times as long as I have!

Learn the Yakima, when you have time to cross the pass!

Good luck!

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Thanks. I figured nobody would want to give up a decent spot lol but thought I'd ask. Guess I will keep skunked at random spots until I come up with something good lol
I know where you're coming from. At points in time I might get out 3 or 4 times a year, sometimes with travel limitations, and I always wanted to get a fish. I got skunked a bunch. To a point it's part of the learning curve. But the experiences will pay off in the long run. Making some contacts will help, try a local club. Hang out here, you'll get ideas. The fly shop folks are really helpful, explain where your at with your fishing and your goals. And yes, cutthroat and other trout in the sound!

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Hi. I'm pretty new to fly fishing. Trying to find a decent spot around Seattle to catch some trout. So far I've tried a few spots in the Middle Snoqualmie Fork and caught one small rainbow. Problem is, I feel like a lot of the places I find are too deep and wide and difficult to traverse.

Anybody know of any good spots? :)
If you’ve found the Middle Fork Snoqualmie to be too wide and difficult to traverse in the last three months, I suspect you may be looking for something smaller? If that’s true, you probably want to fish what we call ‘blue lines’ as in the little blue lines on a map. Note, they aren’t any easier to fish than big wide open spots like the Middle Fork. They’re often steeper, or brushier, or both. They usually do have dumber fish, though.
The beaches that hold sea run cutthroat really probably are easier to traverse than the trout streams, and the trout are bigger in the Sound, too.

RCF

Life of the Party
There are a couple of rivers, the Cedar for one, that are closer to Seattle with good fishing. Problem are the tweekers and numerous break-ins. Something to think about.

I would head East and fish the Yak. Prime time right now. If there are fish there, and there are, what about upstream? Only an hour or less away.

pahnoor

Just Hatched
Ok well now I'm very
Trout fishing is best in lakes here on the wet side. The Forks of the Snoqualmie fish best, I prefer the middle fork, in August and September.

The Puget Sound reference is for sea run cutthroat trout which is a fantastic fishery and available year round. Learn the tides and get out there. South sound fishes best! Stop by a fly shop, Gig Harbor Fly Shop, Avid or wherever and go. I've been doing it for years and fish with some guys who have done in 2 or 3 times as long as I have!

Learn the Yakima, when you have time to cross the pass!

Good luck!
Got any resources on sea run cutthroat? It sounds pretty interesting. Know of any good spots in the south sound?

flybill

Life of the Party
Ok well now I'm very

Got any resources on sea run cutthroat? It sounds pretty interesting. Know of any good spots in the south sound?
Sure, there are some great books out there. Les Johnson's book. Stop by Gig Harbor and talk with them. Purdy is good, and there are tons of spots in the south sound. I'll PM you some spots, but no matter where you hit, you need to check the tides and figure out when to go.

I used to work at Orvis in Bellevue, and learned from Leland Miyawaki. Go when you can. It helps if you can cast far. Start high though and fish close to the beach. I don't know where you live, but you will spend timing learning the beaches. There really are no shortcuts.

I have Sunday's and Mondays off, and plan on hitting some spots soon. The best reports are the ones that you make. I generally fish the beach popper, Leland developed it!

Amazon product ASIN 0936608021
Cheers!

pahnoor

Just Hatched
There are a couple of rivers, the Cedar for one, that are closer to Seattle with good fishing. Problem are the tweekers and numerous break-ins. Something to think about.

I would head East and fish the Yak. Prime time right now. If there are fish there, and there are, what about upstream? Only an hour or less away.
Looks like the Yak runs through Cle Elum which is definitely doable for me. I'll have to check it out, thanks!

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Investing in a handful of flies at one of our awesome local fly shops will more than pay off in some advice and hints on places to fish when you ask questions.

Folks are always going to be a bit hesitant about posting specific spots on the internet just because of the power of google to send people there forever, even if they are willing to share in person. So you're likely to get more vague general advice here.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I think you found your resource.

I'd suggest doing a quick search on the site. That way you can narrow down your questions to something other than, "what rock should I stand on?"

If one is gonna get skunked though, the Sound isn't a half bad place to do so.