Seasoning cast iron

I have used cast iron for probably 15 years or more. I try to clean initially when the pan is finished with the cooking process. Paper towels to wipe out debris and excess oil or grease. Then I add about an inch or maybe an inch and a half or maybe 2" of water. I boil for about 5 to 7 minutes depending on the debris level. Then, once boiled I use a handle hotpad and move to the sink with a green scrubber scotch brite and thoroughly clean the pan bottom and sides until it is clean. Then I wipe it out with paper towels again. I then put it on the burner again for about 2 minutes on medium to medium high to get the pores of the pan to open up again and accept the peanut oil ( higher temperature oil) for the replenishment of the cooking surface. After about 1 to 2 tablespoons of oil I wipe the inside and then every other time or so the outside of the pan to a wet / dry feel.. I then put a lid on it for about an hour or sometimes until the next use. We use it often. I never ever use soap of any kind on the pan. Some of these pans are nearly 100 years old. I have a friend who has probably 40 or more cast iron pans and such. We have only about 7 or 8. Love them.

Forgot to add that the boiling of water within the pan is done so "covered", so steam is cleaning the remaining debris.

Last edited:

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I found that the best way to season my cast iron cookware was to sell it all on Facebook, buy some stainless steel cookware and get on with my life. 😂

As great as cast iron and carbon steel are, I have found that stainless is good enough and there's a lot to be said for being able to just throw it in the dishwasher. I still have a couple of carbon steel pans, but I haven't used them in over a year.

Plenty of info on seasoning in the thread above. So, I won't add to that, but will add a personal anecdote.

50 years ago (exactly, I think) I rented my first apartment and needed some cooking utensils. In my parents' basement, hanging on a nail in the floor joists, was an old cast iron skillet. I asked my mother if I could have it. She said "sure, I haven't used it for years; it's too heavy for me." I asked her how old it was. She said she didn't know; it was old already when her mother gave it to her when she and my father married and set up housekeeping together in ca. 1933! I'm sure it is well over 100 years old and cooked perfect bacon fried rice for breakfast just this morning.