SeaDog Prams

RCF

Life of the Party
As some of you are aware I have been looking for a lighter weight lake boat to fish from primarily by myself. I stumbled across SeaDog prams that are made in Seattle. Weight is in the range that I could handle by myself ---> a good thing. They customize the prams to the buyer's specifications. Not looking for something fancy - just for use on a local lake... Prices seem very reasonable when compared to Spring Creek.

I have done some research but have not found a lot of info. Not sure if they went out of business and then restarted.

Anyone have any experience with them? Any guidance/recommendation's?

Thank You In Advance

RCF

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
I’m definitely not a Spring Creek pram fan, but this Looks like a real nice pram. I like that there are lots of options if a person wants to get it bare bones and put their person touch to it.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
They look really nice, and I can't believe the prices. Looks like $650 for a basic boat with fiberglass on the outside and epoxy inside. I think you'd still want to paint or poly over that to protect from UV degredation of the epoxy, but that's a heck of a deal. I built a 9ft pram (similar design but stitch and glue in lieu of a hard chine) and I spent waaayyy more than that. I probably spent $200 just on sandpaper.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
should consider the 6 oz glass bottom wrap if yo go for it...whereas it will add a few pounds, it will make those 'hard' landings and drags much less of a worry.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
RCF, have you called the phone number? I ask because when I found that website in 2016 or 2017 I wanted to buy one of those prams. But I never got hold of anyone and it seemed they had gone out of business. So that's how I ended up building my own, using the information I could decipher from their pram description to get some basic dimensions. Nomlasder helped me get started, and he has a compound miter saw, which really helped. Long story short, it was a lot of fun and didn't take that long to build. I used no fiberglass, but did put two coats of epoxy on the outside. I added a cushy seat, so it now weighs about 75 pounds. I did a photo story called "The Pram Build" on WFF if you want to look it up and see how it went.

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
Good catch Salmo. I went back to that page and noticed the counter at the bottom is still in 2002. Might be an old webpage. I would think it hard to even get the ply wood these days for 500 bucks.

cdnred

Life of the Party
Good catch Salmo. I went back to that page and noticed the counter at the bottom is still in 2002. Might be an old webpage. I would think it hard to even get the ply wood these days for 500 bucks.
That's probably why it's reflecting 2002 prices, having gone on of business. Would've been a steal at that price..

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
That's probably why it's reflecting 2002 prices, having gone on of business. Would've been a steal at that price..
No kidding. I was just thinking it would be great to order one. Then the voice of reason began to be heard. 😂

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Has anyone ever tried to build a skin over frame pram? I'm thinking a few layers of canvas and epoxy resin.

Reactions: Zak

Fourbtgait

Steelhead
I’ve built several canoes, one pram. Always try to keep weight down.
I thought of SOF pram but you would be starting at square one for design, no plans available.
Pram I built was 8’ fit in bed of truck. Still ended up 65 pounds.
Problem with a pram that weight is bulky to maneuver into truck, unlike a canoe of same weight.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Has anyone ever tried to build a skin over frame pram? I'm thinking a few layers of canvas and epoxy resin.
I can't think of any advantages over using specialty marine plywood, unless you're thinking of some unusual hull contours. It's tough to beat the final hull weight that can be had with 4 and 6 mm marine plywood.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter

Best I can do is foam, bedsheets, and housepaint

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Best I can do is foam, bedsheets, and housepaint

Dude that's pretty awsome

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
I can't think of any advantages over using specialty marine plywood, unless you're thinking of some unusual hull contours. It's tough to beat the final hull weight that can be had with 4 and 6 mm marine plywood.
I was thinking mostly for weight reasons.