Sea Run Cutthroat

BriGuy

Life of the Party
Wow! That's a big'un.

BriGuy

Life of the Party
What part of the Sound did it come from?

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
California is definitely the southern end of the range but there are robust, virtually unfished coastal cutthroat populations in Humboldt and Del Norte County tidewaters. A lot of folks on this board (while they were on the other board) helped me to figure out this fishery. My grandson Chase has been my main fishing partner and now we are fishing Lincoln and Tillamook County tidewaters and have found SRC's in the same habitats using the same tactics.

chaseeelgrass.jpg

crackbaby.jpg

chasetidewater.jpg

IMG_7432.JPG

smithestuarysrc.jpg

Yhandi

Smolt
California is definitely the southern end of the range but there are robust, virtually unfished coastal cutthroat populations in Humboldt and Del Norte County tidewaters. A lot of folks on this board (while they were on the other board) helped me to figure out this fishery. My grandson Chase has been my main fishing partner and now we are fishing Lincoln and Tillamook County tidewaters and have found SRC's in the same habitats using the same tactics.

View attachment 2044

View attachment 2045

View attachment 2046

View attachment 2047

View attachment 2048
Incredible fish! Those colors are seriously stunning. My fishing reaches have neve gone past Idaho, Oregon, and Washington but cali is high on my list. Has a lot of stunning places.
Yhandi

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Incredible fish! Those colors are seriously stunning. My fishing reaches have neve gone past Idaho, Oregon, and Washington but cali is high on my list. Has a lot of stunning places.
Yhandi
On the message board that shall not be named, it was mentioned that the coastal lagoons in Northern California can harbor some big sea runs.

Doc Chastain

Freshly Spawned
It has been my experience that many if not most of the small cedar creeks and estuaries on the south coast of Juan de Fuca strait have discreet runs of SRC. It is, as usual, all about timing and tide. Some days you are the hero ...some days you're a goat.

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
On the message board that shall not be named, it was mentioned that the coastal lagoons in Northern California can harbor some big sea runs.
Stone and Big Lagoon and Lake Earl all have large coastal cutthroat. These coastal lagoons are highly productive systems that are typically open to the ocean 3 or 4 months a year (primarily during the winter) and closed the rest of the time. Many (but not all) of the coastal cutts that inhabit those lagoons and tributaries are adfluvial and never go to the ocean.

View attachment 2044

View attachment 2045

View attachment 2046

View attachment 2047

View attachment 2048
Very interesting fly!