Scott G series

MT406

Steelhead
Looking to add a 4wt for fishing here in SW MT. I have the the Centric 5wt which is a great rod, but looking for a medium flex rod. Anyone cast the 8’8 4wt?

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Looking to add a 4wt for fishing here in SW MT. I have the the Centric 5wt which is a great rod, but looking for a medium flex rod. Anyone cast the 8’8 4wt?
It’s an awesome rod, and I regret trading it away.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I love the 590 g series and have heard a ton of good things about the 884

MT406

Steelhead
I haven’t found a single negative review yet which is promising. I plan on using for small to medium size rivers and alpine lakes.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
The 884 has the reputation of being the best dry fly rod ever built, and its lovers will agree!

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Have the original G 883-3 and I consider it the finest trout rod I’ve ever cast. Does everything I’ve needed it to do from dries to nymphs, and especially great with soft hackles of any size. Not a streamer rod per se, but will handle smaller sizes just fine in the right situation.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
The Airflo Elite was also fantastic with the rod as well. Not sure if it's still in their lineup post transfer to Mayfly.

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Gotta believe the Cortland 444 DT would be about as good as it gets. I like the 409 lines too, but the tip on the 444 seems more versatile to me. I see little reason to use a WF line on a small/medium stream.

RCF

Life of the Party
Gotta believe the Cortland 444 DT would be about as good as it gets. I like the 409 lines too, but the tip on the 444 seems more versatile to me. I see little reason to use a WF line on a small/medium stream.

I too like the Cortland Classic series (444) lines. These lines were designed, and continue to be, for medium action rods in the 80's and 90's. And their price point is wonderful compared to modern day lines... The Peach series is more supple and loads a rod quicker. The SL series is slicker and will cast further. Many people like the Sylk series for bamboo.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Two of my favorite fly lines for dry fly are the cortland 444 series … both in WF.. the Peach and the clear creek line. I’m not sure if cortland still makes the clear creek. Not sure if the lines are the same of 10 years ago. Mine are 10 plus… still have them hanging in a bag. I’ve updated since. Went with a Rio perception trout and a DT Rio trout light something line. They are good lines but after some time thinking maybe the old cortlands were a tad better??? ... These are being used on a Sage LL 389 and Sage DS/ DS2 rods of 583-4 and 490-4. IMHO the DS2 490-4 is a good do everything rod and a really good dry fly casting rod. The 389 LL is butter and so much fun. It’s like a maroon Winston dry fly rod in some aspects. But while I have this rod (389/4 LL) weather prevents use many of times…. Not a rod for wind. 😉

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I am confident I would love a Scott G series 4wt. Everything I’ve read about them sounds right up my alley and I’m sure you will enjoy it. A couple years back though I happened upon a Winston 486 DL4, a rod I hadn’t even heard of. So good that I had to have it. I’ve given up trying to own them all.

Last edited: