Scientific Anglers System 2 7/8 - Will it hold up to Belize Bonefishing?

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Planning a trip to Belize for mainly for bonefish, baby tarpon, snook (if I hook a permit or 100 lb tarpon I'll just hope for the best). I have a few Scientific Anglers System 2 fly reels, most in size 78 and one in size 89. Has anyone used these for tropical salt flats fishing? Would they hold up to most of the fish we will be hunting? Please give me your experiences, thanks.

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
You should be fine for most Belizean bonefish and baby tarpon. And if you are not? Well then I guess what you have is a high-class problem. Possible, but it won't happen often so enjoy it when it does.

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
You should be fine for most Belizean bonefish and baby tarpon. And if you are not? Well then I guess what you have is a high-class problem. Possible, but it won't happen often so enjoy it when it does.
Almost better to have and keep a story of that crazy huge fish that (choose one) spooled me / blew up my reel, than to catch and release the same fish successfully, LOL! Thanks for the good advice.

Chucker

Steelhead
Planning a trip to Belize for mainly for bonefish, baby tarpon, snook (if I hook a permit or 100 lb tarpon I'll just hope for the best). I have a few Scientific Anglers System 2 fly reels, most in size 78 and one in size 89. Has anyone used these for tropical salt flats fishing? Would they hold up to most of the fish we will be hunting? Please give me your experiences, thanks.

You’ll be absolutely fine with those reels, even for 99% of the permit and inshore tarpon. Just clean them well when you get back.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
They should be fine, but if you want to meet up and borrow a couple of reels, let me know. I’ve got a spare Ross Evo R Salt 9/10 and a spare Tibor Everglades that would fit the bill and you'd be welcome to borrow.