Sawyer Oars

Jeff Dodd

Steelhead
Last year I bought a used set of Sawyer 8’ MXS oars. They are way overkill for my intended use I realized after buying them.

I have a 15’ Alumacraft Jon with a Modified V bow. I really just wanted to control my drifts down the lazy sections of river, and move around a lake ease into position on fish.

Is there a market for used 8’ Sawyer oars? I rarely see them advertised for sale.

I have the oar locks and Teflon oar blocks.

Should I use these, or sell them? I’m asking for opinions!

Jeff
F819CBE4-58DF-4B7E-B0E1-182F9FC64FC4.jpegBCC4C018-7DF2-47D1-9E9F-84C3B3FE3BE5.jpeg

Attachments

• 264E72CC-FFB1-435C-BA44-4BFC61655144.jpeg
    264E72CC-FFB1-435C-BA44-4BFC61655144.jpeg
    48.8 KB · Views: 12

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I’m running a similar jon boat setup, but it’s a 16’ boat with 9’ square tops. I also have another similar jet that I often use 8’ cataracts. I felt the 8’ers were a little short but I also use my oars a lot. Typically run a section and then float a while and row like a drifter. I really like my setup simply because I can motor where I need to and then quietly adjust as I go. Same for on a lake. I’d like the get a trolling motor but the oars work well enough for what I’m doing and they don’t require a battery. You can get away with the 8’ers and I’d say use em and see what you think. You can easily sell used oars, especially now so you can sell them later if you don’t like it

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
Last year I bought a used set of Sawyer 8’ MXS oars. They are way overkill for my intended use I realized after buying them.

I have a 15’ Alumacraft Jon with a Modified V bow. I really just wanted to control my drifts down the lazy sections of river, and move around a lake ease into position on fish.

Is there a market for used 8’ Sawyer oars? I rarely see them advertised for sale.

I have the oar locks and Teflon oar blocks.

Should I use these, or sell them? I’m asking for opinions!

Jeff
View attachment 4567View attachment 4569
Nice ride Jeff.

BDD

Steelhead
I would not sell them until you get a replacement set. For the last year, oars from both Saywer and Cataract have been very limited. Our orders keep getting delayed and pushed back. I would think there is a market just because supplies are so limited. I would not get rid of them until you have another set in your hands.

SSPey

loco alto!
8’ seems a little short to me, not sure how they’re overkill? Too fancy? I wouldn’t worry about that, if so. Heavy oars are a drag!

Jeff Dodd

Steelhead
Thanks @BDD for the advice about availability or oars.

@SSPey I bought this used set before I knew what length I’d need. Sawyer makes 6” extensions
Sawyers are strong powerful whitewater oars and I’ll be using them for lakes and cutthroat water 😀. But I’ll mount oar blocks and give them a try!