San Juan Worms

Cliff

Steelhead
Thanks again to all. I especially like the idea of using red wire. Anyway, this is great, thank you.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
View attachment 52014

Scent being non-bait is fascinating...I always thought non-bait was to make catch and release easier and less lethal. Is there some study that says scent does not cause fish to swallow the lure...I would think a scented blob would be bait?
I remember watching two guys "fly fishing" Lake Lenore, they were scenting their yarn eggs. I questioned them about using "bait" and was told to F off.

( "Bait" means any substance which attracts fish by scent or flavors. Bait includes any lure which uses scent or flavoring to attract fish. ) - I don't know where Google found this.......

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I’ve been naughty once or twice after a rain and fished a squirmy under an egg…hehe

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Thought I was up to date on most patterns. What the hell is going on bottom left corner?
I remember in Gary LaFontaines book he had a stillwater pattern with a chunk of foam floating the tail that would do backflips when the retrieve was stopped. I would have to go back and find that book which is missing right now... maybe online.

*So I'm thinking of the rollover scud...
I think I'm on the right track though, it flips the fly and adds action, this is going to bug the hell out of me now. What's the story @Norm Frechette ???

Last edited:

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
From the 2023 Oregon angling regs:

View attachment 51996

I e-mailed ODFW and asked if the squirmy was acceptable. I sent a couple of photos where they are tied as a body/tail material, and the ODFW employee replied that they met the definition of a fly, but acknowledged it was entering a gray area.

They are also hit-or-miss for me in the rainbow/cutthroat dominant PNW waters, but when they work, they REALLY work, so I keep them in a baggie where they seem to disintegrate less.

I like pig stickers, but I really only use those high sticking in heavy water. Vladi worms are the best "pig sticker" type fly.

Otter

Steelhead
ive tied and fished a few

More-Worms-1080.jpg

Swimming-Worms-1080.jpg

Curved-Worms-1080.jpg
Lots of variety there! What are those white rings? Some kind of foam thing to keep the marabou compact while in your fly box? Good idea.