Salty dirtbag firsts for me

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
A friend invited me out to jig for lings (yesterday) and drop traps for the first day of spot shrimp today. We were out on his 23' Aluminum Chambered Boat, fishing around the San Juans, with overnight "camping" at his Crane Island treehouse, complete with fresh lingcod sandwiches for dinner.
A ton of fun!
20230525_180312.jpg
20230524_181441.jpg
VideoCapture_20230525-180103.jpg
And I got the prize for most unique bycatch
20230524_151659.jpg

Scott Salzer

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Nice catch on the sea cumber. Pentamerous symentary, they really aren’t worth getting the muscles. They also evicerate internals as a defense mechanism. And it doesn’t taste that good to me. Catch and release.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Yum! Lings and prawns. You've got a good friend there Northern! With results like that, I don't even think about the dirt bag aspect of "how it's done." It's all about the good eats to me. I wouldn't hesitate a moment to go "dirty azz nymphing" for eats like that or for spring Chinook.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
and the tastiest part of them? their cheeks, the filet mignon of a ling...seriously

I know so many people who love ling cheeks but personally I don't care for them too much. Just don't really dig the texture. Always seems a bit rubbery or something to me. Honestly not huge on Halibut cheeks either but do prefer them over ling.

As a deckhand I quickly learned to despise those who wanted their fish cheeked lol. I would never utter the word cheek on a trip, as many folks don't even know cheeks exist on those fish and I didn't want to encourage them. I never minded cheeking the big fish as it is at least worth the effort but man I hated being asked to cut 1/2 ounce cheek pieces out of 20 lb Halibut lol

And hey, @Northern , sounds like a really cool trip! Ling is my absolute favorite fish to eat. Even better fresh! I am trying to imagine this tree house camping....now that sounds right up my alley!

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Bottom fishing is one of my favorites, and a huge reason I have my ocean boat. I've made it out once so far this year... More to come :D

Never did do bottom fish in the Puget Sound when I lived up there other than one fly fishing ling trip around some marinas.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
I know so many people who love ling cheeks but personally I don't care for them too much. Just don't really dig the texture. Always seems a bit rubbery or something to me. Honestly not huge on Halibut cheeks either but do prefer them over ling.

As a deckhand I quickly learned to despise those who wanted their fish cheeked lol. I would never utter the word cheek on a trip, as many folks don't even know cheeks exist on those fish and I didn't want to encourage them. I never minded cheeking the big fish as it is at least worth the effort but man I hated being asked to cut 1/2 ounce cheek pieces out of 20 lb Halibut lol

And hey, @Northern , sounds like a really cool trip! Ling is my absolute favorite fish to eat. Even better fresh! I am trying to imagine this tree house camping....now that sounds right up my alley!
On Ling Cod Wednesdays (a cluster of ling loaded peaks 12 miles offshore that rose to 180' from a seabed of 320'), my deckhands would clean lings for tips on the hour run back to the harbor..for those who wanted the cheeks, they'd scoop them out with large spoons whose edges had been sharpened on a grinder.
I'd fish the bow bouncng chrome bars, hauling them in and distribute to those not catching their fair share..good times.

Last edited: