Salty Chums

Chris Johnson

Steelhead
Anyone have any luck catching Chums in the salt?

Dennisoft

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Anyone have any luck catching Chums in the salt?

A few years back I lucked into a couple of staging Chum off of the beach in deep MA-13. If I remember correctly, it was quite a bit later in the season, maybe late October or November.

I'll be curious to see if anybody here is targeting them elsewhere and/or earlier in the season.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
All of my chum fishing has been in the south sound or canal, so this info may not be applicable to where you plan to fish.
Down there, you’ll start seeing fall chums in late October but I would say the peak is the second or third week of November. Though fish are still available after the third week, things start to peter out pretty quickly after that.
Most of the small creeks host chum runs, so you can avoid the crowded, well know beach spots and eliminate having to wear a flak jacket to repel shrapnel. 😉 The chum fishery attracts some real interesting characters. If anyone is ever in the area, I highly recommend stopping by Minter creek and watching the show there.
It’s a fun fishery in the salt, especially when they are on the bite.
A floater or intermediate with some pretty simple flies will work. Green is big with some folks but I tend to like pink, cerise or purple.
Fishing away from crowds and getting undisturbed fish helps as well and increases your shots and chances.
Have fun if you go.
SF

Chris Johnson

Steelhead
I live up on the Gulf of Georgia and Fraser river Chums start showing up here around the first week of October, they are slabs and fairly bright. I thought I'd see if anyone had any info on chums outside of estuaries. Guess I'll just give it a go and see what happens.

Last edited:

Divad

Whitefish
I live up on the Gulf of Georgia and Fraser river Chums start showing up here around the first week of October, they are slabs and fairly bright. I thought I'd see if anyone had any info chums outside of estuaries. Guess I'll just give it a go and see what happens.
Worst case you end up with some great views, a cuttie or maybe a coho. It’s the odds game that draws me to the salt. 🎲 Here’s to hoping you roll a chum.

skyrise

Steelhead
I live up on the Gulf of Georgia and Fraser river Chums start showing up here around the first week of October, they are slabs and fairly bright. I thought I'd see if anyone had any info on chums outside of estuaries. Guess I'll just give it a go and see what happens.
Maybe the Pacific Angler in Vancouver might have some info on it ?