Saltwater SRC/Coho rod recommendation

gwb72tii

Just Hatched
Newbie here to SRC fishing. I have a boat and will be fishing from it, casting towards shore. I have a Loomis 5wt, but it's not built for the salt.

I don't care to spend $1000 on a rod if I can help it and thankfully there are a number of less costly rods to choose from.

What rod would you recommend? .

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
A 6 weight medium fast action 9'0" fly rod with a fighting butt and saltwater compatible reel seat & guides.

Check out models & deals from Scott and G Loomis

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

Reactions: ffb

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
You can definitely use your 5wt. Wind on the salt is the best reason to err toward a 6wt.

Check out the TFO Blitz 6wt - designed for saltwater with fighting butt, around $400 and fast warranty service if you break it.

Divad

Whitefish
from what I've read, 5wt seems right
I’d say a bulk of the reason people go with the 6 is for the ability to cast into the wind. A 5wt is more than enough to manage the fight of an SRC and 2-6lb coho no problem. Then again when you start getting larger coho later into the summer the 6 helps.

Edit: jinx (above)! And the 6 should cast further. As Scudley said, fish your 5, warm water rinse it and your reel afterwards and you’ll be fine. Cold water works too.

Last edited:

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I used an Echo Carbon XL 6wt and it worked well. I would probably prefer that, over an Ion XL, for the weight.

You could also use an unconventional line, on your 5wt. Something like a Wulff Ambush Short would be good. A guy from OPST used to use a 10ft 3wt, for SRC.

wmelton

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
TFO LK
Orvis Clearwater
Echo Boost Blue
Echo Carbon XL
Edge Archetype

I've cast the first 4, the TFO is my favorite, the Carbon XL definitely my least favorite, but they're all fine. Edge Archetype will be the next rod I buy. If you're going to be targeting Coho get a 6 or 7wt. Don't be afraid to use your 5 in the salt, just give it a good rinse.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I fish a 6 due to how and what I fish. Heavy shooting head lines and clunky flies (think clousers and cone heads) a good chunk of the time. I actually fish a 7 for coho a good amount for the same reason (bigger clunky flies) plus heavy sink tips on some of the deeper, more exposed (wind) beaches in MA 9 with strong current.

A 4 or the 5 can efficiently handle the fish we catch in PS with a few exceptions. Some beaches, a 2 or a 3 would be more appropriate considering some the SRC you will be catching. Not the only thing to consider though. Personally, I also don’t care about getting the most out of a fight with SRC or coho for different reasons. SRC I want landed and released asap. Coho I want landed asap and cleared of other anglers, especially on crowded beaches. Releasing wild coho fast is important as well.

If the plan is to fish a floater or intermediate 95% of the time, the 5 will be fine. If not, consider heavier. It does not need to be expensive. Lots of options out there from Echo, TFO, etc. will work very well. If you want to bump to mid range, GLoomis Pro or even the Sage Maverick are solid rods for the sound. If you are poor about gear maintenance like me, consider something with saltwater components.

To me lines are as, or more important to your setup than the rod. See the beach lines thread for lots of good info there. Most recos would apply to fishing from a boat as well.

Last edited:
A five weight does the job just fine. Especially if you are fishing from a boat and are standing above the water vs up to your waist. Get a line like an outbound short or Cortland compact and bob’s your uncle. It is always better to have multiple rods though. The five with a dry or intermediate line ,and a six with the heavier heads and windy conditions.