6wt beach rod........

Markjb

Just Hatched
Hey guys...new to the forum. Looking to retire my 25 year old Lamiglas g1298 6wt....Budget is not real high, want to stay $300.00 max. Interested in the Echo Boost Blue. Any one out there have any experience / thoughts on this rod for targeting beach cutthroat and coho...or any other suggestions for other rods in this price range ? thanks for any input.....Mark

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I absolutely love my Echo Boost Blue 6wt for the applications you're describing. It works well with the lines I like (Arctic Silver Compact 2.0) and my somewhat unrefined casting style. If you're looking for subtlety and finesse it might not be the best thing out there but it gets a lot of line out there in the general direction I'm aiming which is pretty much what I'm looking for.

So much so that I'm going to sell my lightly used Redington Predator 696 and my "only used for 20 minutes" Echo Stillwater 6100 to get another one.

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter
I have the Echo Boost Salt 9' 6wt which is the predecessor to the Boost Blue and it's my go to 6wt for the sound. I also have a Redington Predator 9' 6wt which is my backup rod, I prefer the Echo.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I believe another Echo rod a lot of folks beach fish with is the Ion XL. It might be worth checking out as well.
SF

Vandelay Industries

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
The Boost Blue has become my primary 6 wt rod replacing my Echo 3S and Ion XL. The Ion XL is another great option if u you are looking to save a little cash.

The Boost Blue handled the fat unclipped Coho that I caught this morning without issue. I'd recommend the rod for your needs.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
FYI- The Echo Ion XL can also be had in a 10ft version. A lot of folks prefer 9 1/2 or 10’ rods for the beach, as it keeps your fly just a bit higher on backcasts to reduce hitting the sloping beach rocks on your back cast. I’ve wrecked a lot of flies from repeatedly smacking rocks on my back cast when the beach was steeply sloped.

Shad

Life of the Party
I have an Echo EPR that I like a lot. Might have cost a little more than the Boost Blue, but not much. It is made for shooting line, and it is accurate, too. Fairly ideal for most of my salt fishing round here...

Divad

Whitefish
The 10’ 7wt Ion XL is a heavy swing weight rod, sold mine because I didn’t enjoy the fatigue. The 6 might be better. On the flip side it’s very strong, can be smacked repeatedly with lead eyes and still hold true.

@Vandelay Industries do you think the Boost is a lighter swing compared to your Ion XL?

Vandelay Industries

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
The 10’ 7wt Ion XL is a heavy swing weight rod, sold mine because I didn’t enjoy the fatigue. The 6 might be better. On the flip side it’s very strong, can be smacked repeatedly with lead eyes and still hold true.

@Vandelay Industries do you think the Boost is a lighter swing compared to your Ion XL?
My first saltwater fly rod was the 10' 7 wt Ion. That was a broom stick but worked well. I did get tired. It got replaced with a 10' 7 wt Ion XL, which felt a lot lighter. It's still very strong and has a backbone. That's my late summer/fall Coho rod.

I do have the 10' 6 wt Ion XL as well. It's my rod for steep beaches. It's easier to cast but just as strong and durable as the 7 wt.

The 6 wt Boost is a lighter swing but has just as much power as the 6 wt Ion XL. Both are great rods for the price.

cedarslug

Steelhead
I have an Echo Ion XL 690. I don’t fish the sound as much as I should, but have hooked up on sea runs most of the time I go out.

I have’t handled a lot of “saltwater” fly rods, and think the Ion XL has a fairly large grip; the top and bottom of the grip is fairly pronounced, compared to other rods’ grips, e.g. Sage Maverick, etc.

The Ion XL is pretty quick, but not super fast, and does feel like it has a stiffer butt. With enough line out, the rod does load nicely in the mid-tip sections. I primarily use a sinking and intermediate lines. Haven’t found a floating line I love on the rod yet. Ditto on the durability of the rod.

Not sure where you’re located, but if you wanna borrow the rod for a few outings, let me know! I have a beater Sage Fli as a backup.

fatbillybob

Steelhead
No 2 hand lovers...like boost beach or beulah opal? I see guys with 9ft. saltwater rods double hauling with lots of false casts in barely any wind just killing themselves. 2 hand it's pick-up or snakeroll (left or right current) to one false cast and shoot line.

skyrise

Steelhead
Question on Echo boost blue ? If i normally fish an 8wt single hand would i go down one or two weights to stay in that 300 grain range for salt/beach fishing with boost blue? Thanks.

Vandelay Industries

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I would match the 8 wt rod with an 8 wt line.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
No 2 hand lovers...like boost beach or beulah opal? I see guys with 9ft. saltwater rods double hauling with lots of false casts in barely any wind just killing themselves. 2 hand it's pick-up or snakeroll (left or right current) to one false cast and shoot line.
A Spey rod doesn’t make up for a lack of skill, which is what I think the challenge is for most of the folks who give it more than a few false casts, but I agree that it would work well, especially for coho from the beach.

Last edited:

Markjb

Just Hatched
I have an Echo Ion XL 690. I don’t fish the sound as much as I should, but have hooked up on sea runs most of the time I go out.

I have’t handled a lot of “saltwater” fly rods, and think the Ion XL has a fairly large grip; the top and bottom of the grip is fairly pronounced, compared to other rods’ grips, e.g. Sage Maverick, etc.

The Ion XL is pretty quick, but not super fast, and does feel like it has a stiffer butt. With enough line out, the rod does load nicely in the mid-tip sections. I primarily use a sinking and intermediate lines. Haven’t found a floating line I love on the rod yet. Ditto on the durability of the rod.

Not sure where you’re located, but if you wanna borrow the rod for a few outings, let me know! I have a beater Sage Fli as a backup.
Thanks for your response and appreciate the offer to throw the XL !!! Ordered a Blue today.... thanks again...Mark

Markjb

Just Hatched
Hey guys... thanks for all of your responses and input.... all good reviews on the rod... ordered the Boost Blue today... hopefully I'll be throw'n some fly's next weekend !!!!! thanks again for all of your responses .... Mark

Vandelay Industries

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Hey guys... thanks for all of your responses and input.... all good reviews on the rod... ordered the Boost Blue today... hopefully I'll be throw'n some fly's next weekend !!!!! thanks again for all of your responses .... Mark
Make sure to report back with your first fish picture with the rod! Good luck.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

I think most people that fish the beaches a lot are launching their casts with no more than two false casts, if not one. I do see folks make 5-7 to get off a cast and agree that is a great way to wear yourself out.
With folks using two handed rods, I see them giving up a ton of valuable fishing real estate at the rod tip to set-up their next cast, some of which is a pretty significant distance. They are missing opportunities in that area. Most also don’t get any extra distance versus the single hand folks. There are plus and minuses to both. You just have to fish what you enjoy.
SF