Saltwater leader questions

jeradjames

Steelhead
I’m new to fly fishing and have a question regarding leaders. I’ve been using an Umpqua Deceiver 3x 9ft leader and 2-3ft or so of 3x tippet tied to that while beach fishing for pinks and coho. I went into a new shop yesterday to purchase another leader and they suggested just tying maxima ultragreen 10lb onto my fly line and using that with no tippet. Is that all I will need while fishing on the salt? Comes out much cheaper I believe so would be nice if that’s the case. Thanks if anyone can help!

Jerad

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Yes. 5-10’ of 12 or 15lb UG or Chameleon gets it done on the Puget Sound…at least for me. I change my leader when it’s shorter than 5’.

You can buy 200yds for fairly cheap, and be set for a long time.

Edit: fixed spelling.

Last edited:

Chucker

Steelhead
I disagree! Having some taper in your leader helps to turn over the fly, reduces the number of tangles and wind knots, and helps avoid cutting into the loop on the end of your fly line (if you have a loop, or give a s*** about that).

The minimum that I would use would be a 6’ butt section of 30 pound plus, with a step down between that and the 10 pound stuff. But, most of the time I have a tapered butt section from an old tapered leader, tied to a couple of feet of 20, and a couple of feet of 12#. I get years of life out of a butt section, so the cost is not an issue.