Salt water pliers

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
I'm looking for a multitool-pliers for saltwater fishing use.
I prefer a smaller lighter tool with scissors particularly, needle nose pliers,
Knife, line cutter.
These pliers would fit in a pocket of a sling pack, waders or chest type pack.
6" length max.
What are your go to pliers for beach fishing.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Fred - so many options. I just did a search, kind of overwhelming. I bought two pair off Bezos and ended up returning them as the sheaths were garbage. Good luck!

(Last year I destroyed a brand new Loon mitten clamp trying to get a barbed (my bad) hook out of a big coho.)

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I like my Gerber stuff, but for camping, not fishing because the cutters just don't hold up to repeated fluoro cutting like the fishing specific pliers do. (I prefer Dr. Slick there...good value to dependability ratio)

SSPey

loco alto!
Been using that Gerber for decades, and they are without question disposable rust-buckets. However, I often drop mine in a river before they lock up from rust

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
Fred - so many options. I just did a search, kind of overwhelming. I bought two pair off Bezos and ended up returning them as the sheaths were garbage. Good luck!

(Last year I destroyed a brand new Loon mitten clamp trying to get a barbed (my bad) hook out of a big coho.)
The numerous options prompted my curiosity.
I've got a stainless Leatherman multitool
But I'd prefer something smaller and lighter for carrying while fishing.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Tired of buying new yet shitty pliers for $15 every six months, I went with the “buy once, cry once” method and bought some Danco titanium pliers off the auction site for $100 about 5 years ago. I figure I broke even in a couple of years and am now to the good. No rust, no corrosion, and still as sharp as the day I got them (though I have replacement blades) despite several hundred saltwater outings and cutting lots and lots of maxima and p-line.

EDIT: Forgot some words in sentences.

Last edited:

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Tired of buying new yet shitty pliers for $15 every six, I went with the “buy once, cry once” method and bought some Danco titanium pliers off the auction site for $100 about 5 years ago. I figure I broke even and am now to the good. No rust, no corrosion, and still as sharp as the day I got them (though I have replacement blades) despite several hundred saltwater outings and cutting lots and lots of maxima and p-line.
Ok, now I have another one took look at myself!

IHFISH

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Not a pliers solution, but a pair of mid-range Dr. Slicks hemostats, cheap nippers and a cheap home depot gerber folding knife have me covered for all phases of the beach salmon experience from seating that 20# or better perfection loop :) to fish cleaning. Both clip on or stow in a small chest pack very easily.

1696474454051.png