Salmon And Steelhead Conservation

DryFlyGuy02

Just Hatched
Hi all. I am an environmental studies major at Lewis and Clark College. For my senior thesis project, I am examining how peoples’ perceptions and valuation of wildlife impacts their views of conservation and management. Specifically, I am exploring how peoples’ perceptions and valuation of salmon impacts their views on human intervention and management of the species.

I have developed a short (5 min) survey that tries to understand some themes and patterns regarding how people think about salmon. It would be incredibly helpful if you could take a few minutes and fill out my survey. I am casting a wide net and hoping to get as many responses as possible so feel free to share this link around as well. Thank you for your support!

Survey Link

Shad

Life of the Party
Done. It was harder than I would have thought to prioritize the 7 consumptive uses of salmon. The only one I was sure of was that commercial harvest should be dead last. Being honest about it, I think I also ranked recreation pretty low.

Ecology was my highest priority. Salmon are perhaps THE keystone species round these parts. Just about everything that walks, swims, and eats counts on them somehow. Indeed, much as I love fishing for them, I think it's safe to say non-tribal humans all over the world need them the very least.