Sailfish?

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Has anyone here fly fished for sailfish—especially Pacific sailfish off Costa Rica?
I have some questions!

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Weeelllllll... I'm going on a 2-week family trip to Costa Rica in June where the first week is all scheduled out with fun adventurey activities and the second week, or last 5 nights anyway are at a sleepy surfy beach area (place we are staying is right between Samara and Nosara) and there are captains in the area with offshore boats that can take people out to catch big ocean fish. This is a family trip, so I'm not going offshore more than a day, but I will be depressed if I don't go fishing, and damn what an opportunity to possibly get into some badass fish--maybe even a sailfish. I messaged the most promising looking charters down there and none of them are real fly fishers but they all say they have some experience with fly fishers, just no gear, and they can get sports onto fish.

Now I understand and am totally fine with going where the opportunity is, making the best of conditions, etc. But it seems like I might want to prepare for the possibility of a sailfish. I can tie a couple big ass pink and white flies and get a big popper head on there. I am familiar with the whole "bait and switch" technique and did it with success off Cabo for roosters (when none came to less intense methods). (If I go out, hopefully the captain and mate are familiar with this, too!)

It seems like my albacore rig will work--12 weight rods and a 10/12 Nautilus. Do I really need a special line set up for sails? Some online sources say the ideal set up is a floating line with a short sinktip to really make the popper really "bloop." Is this true? Will a straight floating line work okay? Or one of our standard heavy sinking lines we use for albacore?

I have two rods, but only the one good reel that I would match against something like a sailfish, so if I want to have two setups, like one for dorado (which I've never caught and would be plenty happy to play with) or whatever else, and then a sailfish-specific setup ready to go in case a bill pops up in the spread, then I am going to need to find another reel. Do you think I'm right, though, that if I'm going to make the effort to get out, that it would be good to have two complete set-ups? Or is that not needed? Because it's a pretty big investment for a one day thing on a family trip (even just hauling it all around for one day.) But if it's needed, I'm open to it. I am an obsessed flyfisher after all. I'm just a family man first, or I try to be anyway.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
12wt should be plenty. Honestly, sailfish aren't super hard fighters. I'd put them about on par with a dorado of about half their size.

Plan to troll - it's how you're going to find both dorado and sailfish. Typically the sailfish will charge right up to the boat. We got one to swipe at 3 different flies put in front of him until one finally stuck. They seem to be pretty tough to spook off honestly. Especially if you get in to a group of them.

Otherwise, there honestly isn't much to really know. It's a crapshoot, but if you do find them, they are very aggressive.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
12wt should be plenty. Honestly, sailfish aren't super hard fighters. I'd put them about on par with a dorado of about half their size.

Plan to troll - it's how you're going to find both dorado and sailfish. Typically the sailfish will charge right up to the boat. We got one to swipe at 3 different flies put in front of him until one finally stuck. They seem to be pretty tough to spook off honestly. Especially if you get in to a group of them.

Otherwise, there honestly isn't much to really know. It's a crapshoot, but if you do find them, they are very aggressive.
So, a whole bunch of gear specific to sailfish, i.e. lines and flies, maybe are NOT needed?

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
So, a whole bunch of gear specific to sailfish, i.e. lines and flies, maybe are NOT needed?
Based on my experiences probably not. Dorado gear will get it done for the most part.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
IMG_0418.jpeg

This is on a 4/0 wide gap hook. Seem reasonable? I just lashed a bunch of stuff to a hook and made it as long as the materials I have on hand will allow, without getting into doubles or game changers and whatnot.

A big deceiver with dark blue back should work.
If you are going to troll i would recommend a double hook rig with the regular hook and a dropper. Gammy Sl12s is a good hook.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Crease flys and poppers seem to be a top choice in some places.
Watched folks use huge poppers as teasers while trolling, and when the fish moved in, everyone tossed smaller crease flys and a few big streamers for the hookups.
Cool fish...they just flat wear themselves out pretty fast with all that jumping and running it seems.
I have some stuff from a Panama trip, if you want to see what was used over on the Pacific side, Hannibal Banks area. Dorado liked the same stuff.
I actually did not fish for them the day it was hot, I was fishing Marlin that day, so can't do anything to help besides show pics of gear.

The Fish Whisperer

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Has anyone here fly fished for sailfish—especially Pacific sailfish off Costa Rica?
I have some questions!
I went to Guatemala in March 2023 and fished for Sailfish. I echo what Evan stated above......not overly complicated it is just a matter of trolling and finding them...when you do find them they are usually pretty hot for the popper and all lit up.

A big deceiver with dark blue back should work.
If you are going to troll i would recommend a double hook rig with the regular hook and a dropper. Gammy Sl12s is a good hook.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
What do you do for a leader for sailfish?
Same question for dorado…hopefully the same kind of set up will work for both.

My plan is to have one 12 weight with a floater and popper and one 12 weight with the 600 grain sinker (probably for trolling).

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Also, I tied this. It might be overkill, but I’ll have it if I need it. Trying to figure out a popper head I can just slide on the leader. I’m thinking of trying to cut up a bobber and paint it. Or just ordering the Cam Sigler ones.

IMG_0453.jpegIMG_0452.jpeg

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I don't know shit about sailfish or any of those with sharp pointy things on their noses, but I fucking love this journey!

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I don't know shit about sailfish or any of those with sharp pointy things on their noses, but I fucking love this journey!
Haha, I just hope I actually get out. It’s a family trip where I’m hoping to get one good full day fishing. Then of course we need to do a half or 3/4 day family trip if the weather is nice, might as well do a little trolling if we are looking for dolphins…

I just think sailfish are so cool looking and I know they got them in Costa Rica.
Dorado/mahi are cool too and I’ve never caught one of those either.