Sage XP 490-4, what fly line?

Adrian M

Steelhead
I just got a sage xp 490-4 from a forum member. need to get a fly line. what would you recommend? Thinking about getting a rio gold elite. have one for my 5 wt and it's real nice.... I know people here have or used to have this rod, and you may know what line would be better. I've read "get one that is a 1/2 line wt heavier than standard" which would apply to the rio gold elite... i think at least.

Thanks in advance! Love the new forum.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
My XPs really like the SA amplitude MPX, which is a 1/2 size heavy. So I'd say your probably going to like anything like the rio gold that's a half size heavy.

Having cast both the rio elite and the SA amplitudes, I like the SA lines better. They twist less and the line is easier to handle. The RIO elite is fucking slick though - it does really shoot out there.

My XPs really like the SA amplitude MPX, which is a 1/2 size heavy. So I'd say your probably going to like anything like the rio gold that's a half size heavy.

Having cast both the rio elite and the SA amplitudes, I like the SA lines better. They twist less and the line is easier to handle. The RIO elite is fucking slick though - it does really shoot out there.
I agree! Go SA. I’ve owned both brands and always end up preferring the SA feel and “amnesia” in the line coiling on a cold day.

Hey! Glad you made it over here.
Did you like the rio too? I was surprised how much I liked it (not a huge rio fan). Shoots real good.
Glad to be here.

I had Rio Intouch Perception WF3 and it tended to coil on cold days (air temps around freezing) while my SA Amplitude Trout was still pliable with very little line memory. Perhaps on moderately temperate days the Rio would have performed better, but I sold it and got another spool of SA Amp.

FishyJere

Nee Jerry Metcalf
Forum Supporter
All the Rio InTouch lines coil badly, I'd stay away from them. I've had a bunch of XP's and they seem happy on SA lines.

Adrian M

Steelhead
The Rio Elite's seem better than the intouch. but enough have said the SA mpx are great. i'll probably go with that.