Sage Sonic 5wt

dpenrod

Smolt
Looking for some real world reviews on the Sonic 5wt. Have one on the used rack at my local fly shop. Gave it a spin and was underwhelmed. Maybe not the right line? Price is right though. Thanks for any input.

Skol_Engh

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I/my partner had one for a bit. it's definitely a stiff rod that takes quite a bit to load up. I thought a heavier line like the Perception worked well with it as a nymphing line. I don't remember if I tried it with a rio grande but I have to imagine that would do the trick as well. It would be an ideal beach rod, lake rod, or drift boat nymphing rod, but I wouldn't grab it if I was dry fly fishing. Ultimately, my partner wanted a rod with a bit more feel. After trying out different rods this summer it was hard for her to go back to the uber-stiff Sonic, so we sold it and got her a Trout LL which suits her better. That said when I worked at a fly shop I had customers rave about the Sonic all the time. I guess it kinda depends what you want to use it for.

HOG

GOTY’s mum’s favorite ghillie
I/my partner had one for a bit. it's definitely a stiff rod that takes quite a bit to load up. I thought a heavier line like the Perception worked well with it as a nymphing line. I don't remember if I tried it with a rio grande but I have to imagine that would do the trick as well. It would be an ideal beach rod, lake rod, or drift boat nymphing rod, but I wouldn't grab it if I was dry fly fishing. Ultimately, my partner wanted a rod with a bit more feel. After trying out different rods this summer it was hard for her to go back to the uber-stiff Sonic, so we sold it and got her a Trout LL which suits her better. That said when I worked at a fly shop I had customers rave about the Sonic all the time. I guess it kinda depends what you want to use it for.
Sonic is a cheaper trout “LL” fucking farbanks can’t even figure out a new rod so they dig through classics. A 389 is a 3 piece. Not a 4. Sorry, nothing against you but they suck for attempting to bring back the LL

EDDF3A5C-D8FB-4156-91E2-57E970BC69D5.jpeg

Edit / and charging $900 bucks retail, screw them

Replicant

Steelhead
I hear a lot of Sage bashing on this forum. That's fine, but honestly, they're great rods (I have three) and the customer service is excellent. I have a 5wt Sonic and I absolutely love it. It's accurate, fast and great in wind, where my other six and even eight weight rods struggle. It's my go to. I just love it. My only complaint, and I know I'm not alone on this, is that it isn't a close in rod. It's. a big river, lake and beach rod. Which is fine, because that's mostly what I do. I have the SA Amplitude MPX line, as it came recommended from the shop, and I couldn't be happier. I would absolutely recommend this rod.

Oliver1329

Life of the Party
I love my sage sonic. I think it's the best rod I have. I have it paired with a Lamson remix and SA Amplitude MPX and it casts like a dream. I definitely think you should buy it, you won't regret it!