Sage core8 590-4

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Ok before I start, this is absolutely not what I had in mind. And I will try to get my hands on another one with more time with it in hand. This may be of limited or even no value. Take it for what you think it's worth.

I went to the Denver ISE show. The only thing there I wanted to do was cast the 590 core8. I did get to do that.... kinda.

First off the casting pond was in constant use by demonstrators it was essentially not open to the public.
However, there was a shop there selling used guide outfits for half price. I told the guy working the booth that I just wanted to cast it and had no intention of buying it..
He was gracious enough to let me try it.
It was already rigged up with a reel and line.
I have no clue what the line was but assume it was probably a Rio gold 5 wt.
I took the rod to the end of the exhibition hall where I had maybe 90 feet or so
of room to split between the back cast and forward vast

The rid itself. It Is very light in the hand and quite stiff, not club like stiff like the old days but very stiff. I think the rod is very well balances, by that I mean there is no one section of the rod that is overly stiff each section seemed matched to the others. To put is succinctly, it is very well designed, just stiffer than I normally like, and I did like it, for casting at least. Reminded me of the Sonic, just lighter and faster.
Now the casting. It lacked feel (of the line) out to the 30 foot mark but. It cast very clean tight loops even with a crappy leader and questionable line. It did just fine with my nice and easy stroke. Though I couldn't feel it much, it did load and unload smoothly as you'd expect from any fine rod.
I think with a double taper 5 I could have felt the load better and am reasonably confident I could throw the whole 90 feet or at least very close. It certainly would have easily held 60 feet of line in the air all day.

Good rods are fun to cast, even if the scenario is frustratingly limited.

In short. Great rod, or at least it seems to be. A bit stiff for me personally but I could enjoy fishing it. It's soon light it makes me think the 6 would be a better choice fishing from a drift boat. I don't think I'd want to load it up with shot, indicators and two flies. But I could be totally wrong, I don't fish that way so I'm a poor judge, that's just my perception. Or, maybe I just think that's what 6 was are for? I haven't given it much thought.

Anyway, got a grand to blow on a very nice, very fast factory built rod. I would certainly recommend checking out the core 8... if you do, I'd love to hear your thoughts..

For what it's worth.
Rob.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Thanks Rob. How was the show in general? Anything fun/interesting or just same old thing?

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Thanks Rob. How was the show in general? Anything fun/interesting or just same old thing?

No. To be honest the show kinda sucked..
However while in Denver we went to a restaurant called the Chubby Cattle, it was very expensive but worth it..

Just hired a realtor hopefully I won't be able to go to the fly fishing show but if I do I'm sure it will be better..

Dave Boyle

Life of the Party
Thanks Rob,

Great write up. TBH, I’m sure the price tag is eye watering and lobbing shot and or big flies on a very stiiff but very light would fill me with dread. One slight nick and you may be hosed. I once put a clouser right thru the 3rd pice of a T&T, a beautiful 9wt. Guide group charged $250, this was abroad so hard to argue re warranty and being pumped though we tried.

TMI Dave