Run Etiquette

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
I confess to low-holing one person. I was fishing behind Angie The Fish Goddess and she was imitating a piling as she broke off spoon after spoon by making the same cast over and over. After 30 minutes I went around her. What happened after that was epic.
If they're parked, I'm flipping on the blinker and going around .

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Is this gonna turn into a political thread?

naw, probably not, I think I agreed with Rob Allen's post a while back....at least one of them. But not the mile long bullshit.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
If a guide told me that I would tell him to fuck off.
Wow - words like this tend to bring out the worst in some folks. It isn't worth it to me for a couple of reasons. I don't want to deal with a creep like this guide and I don't want to get my butt kicked (I'm no spring chicken and the Charles* ads from the back of Sports Afield never were true.)

*(Atlas ;))

The last year the Methow and Wenatchee rivers were open, and especially on the Methow, finding an open run was at times challenging. The river was loaded with (hatchery) steelhead that fall and it was a busy place to fish. I'd gotten into the middle of the car body hole, my friend was at the head, we were working our way down when two anglers showed up. They'd accessed the river elsewhere and had hiked in after seeing the hole was open. I guess our route to the hole was shorter than theirs. They headed upstream and came back later with three hatchery fish while I took a skunkin'.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Being accused of low holing or being low holed by someone isn’t confined to just rivers or streams.
SF
yep, I got squeezed out by a bass boat while fishing for tigers (like pulled in about 20-30' next to my in the direction I was clearly fishing). I just went around them and continued working up the bank. I got one in that area about 3 hours later.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
yep, I got squeezed out by a bass boat while fishing for tigers (like pulled in about 20-30' next to my in the direction I was clearly fishing). I just went around them and continued working up the bank. I got one in that area about 3 hours later.

I’ve had it happen in the salt and lakes as well.
Got cussed out by a guy on a beach that I was probably a quarter mile away from. He accused me of low holing him as I was down current. Took me a while to figure out who was yelling and why. 😂
Also have had people wade deep into a rip below me and stand basically where you would normally be hooking fish.
Was fishing Dry Falls about 20’ off the bank and fishing towards the drop-off next the bank. Had a guy troll between me and the bank so I had to strip in my line. He just seemed oblivious.
In my younger days I used to get worked up about it. Not so much these days.
SF

stillreleasing

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Etiquette in general is a thing of the past and common courtesy requires common sense. I haven’t run into an issue on the water in a long time and I think that attitude is the biggest reason why. I also don’t fish particularly popular/accessible spots. Also might just be because I don’t steelhead?

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Etiquette in general is a thing of the past and common courtesy requires common sense. I haven’t run into an issue on the water in a long time and I think that attitude is the biggest reason why. I also don’t fish particularly popular/accessible spots. Also might just be because I don’t steelhead?
Big fish bring out the worst in some people.

onefish

Steelhead
When I am drifting I will not fish a spot that already is occupied by a shore angler. When I am shore fishing I just go upstream of whom ever is there and fish down to them. If they are parked like a telephone pole, I go around them, leave a respectful distance and resume fishing. Fishing a run for the day.........................................gimme a break, this isn't England where you pay to get access to certain "beats".
When I fished the Thompson I gear fished. By far, the worst encounters I had on the river were from fly guys, and low hole tactics were what I encountered and got to expect from the 15ft rod crew. Thank goodness there were no guides on the Thompson.
On my local rivers guides are by far the worst to fish around, aggressive, entitled, a-holes for the most part.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Although, I will occasionally utilize the term, "there's a lot of water here..."
Me too.
I got the "but I always fish here" from a guy the other day as he squeezed in next to me. He lasted I about 10 minutes. I think I talk too much. I really don't like fishing down there, but my son does. Shack nasty all day long. I don't see how folks go through life just to be unhappy about everything.