Rubicon Trail 2023

Not exactly a fishing trip, but a wheeling trip that included a little fishing…IMG_2760.jpegIMG_2761.jpegWe ran it backwards from Tahoma side west of Lake Tahoe to Buck Island Lake, camp at the lake two nights while running the RTF Loop one of those days before running back to the Tahoma Side of the trail out the third day…

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
IMG_2765.jpeg
You know you have a good friend when he drives his rig off the trail to Reno, have a custom length shaft built, drive it back down the trail (he made it to Rubicon Springs by early dark and camped, coming to Buck Island early next morning) then install it the next day

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
IMG_2773.jpeg
A bear walked thru camp both nights…the first night (actually 3:44 am) I could see it in the moonlight…I yelled at it a few times, then got out of the tent to make coffee and see if he returned

Chad D.

Smolt
Been there a million times, but have only bathed in Buck. Never fished it!

You took the right path. Coming in from Loon isn’t worth the added road miles anymore. We used to do it the “right way”, but not in the last 10 years or more.

Such a fun and beautiful trail to enjoy. Nothing overly hard, but it’s sure neat.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Been there a million times, but have only bathed in Buck. Never fished it!

You took the right path. Coming in from Loon isn’t worth the added road miles anymore. We used to do it the “right way”, but not in the last 10 years or more.

Such a fun and beautiful trail to enjoy. Nothing overly hard, but it’s sure neat.
I’ve run it a few times before, but in much shorter wheelbase jeeps…my Brute is just too long and heavy for this trail

Chadk

Life of the Party
I bought my wife a 2018 rubicon recon a few years back. Once it is broken in a bit more, I will start a few mods and that is one of the trips on the agenda. I need a few friends with those skills and loyalty though :)

1691769557669.png

John Svahn

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
My neck of the woods…
Do you guys ever run Fordyce Creek? Fishing can be good there!
My trips are one step less rugged as our little Frontier Pro 4x is also my daily driver and work truck.

Chad D.

Smolt
My neck of the woods…
Do you guys ever run Fordyce Creek? Fishing can be good there!
My trips are one step less rugged as our little Frontier Pro 4x is also my daily driver and work truck.

We’ve migrated toward Johnson Valley and Moab for most of our wheeling these days. Rubicon and Fordyce are closer, but small areas in comparison. Would certainly spend a lot more time there if they were in my back yard!

But, it seems like we always fight the mosquitos or yellow jackets when we go there. Not an issue at Moab and the Hammers.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I've been going to Moab for many years...love Pritchet & Kane Creek. We also like to run the Dusy-Ershim in the Sierras; there are a lot of lakes up there that do have trout...

Divad

Whitefish
Man I used to be huge into off-roading, SAS’d a yota freshman year. Then one day going up a ravine I had this epiphany wash over me, “I can just walk up this, why am I in a truck”

Never did a 4x4 trip to a destination like this, I see the fun in it, makes me want to get back into it. Awesome crew and solid mate to get you a shaft like that. Is that a 20” lift to get your Jeep that high hehe sick rig Brute! The addons look very thought out

John Svahn

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
We’ve migrated toward Johnson Valley and Moab for most of our wheeling these days. Rubicon and Fordyce are closer, but small areas in comparison. Would certainly spend a lot more time there if they were in my back yard!

But, it seems like we always fight the mosquitos or yellow jackets when we go there. Not an issue at Moab and the Hammers.
We have winter, mosquitos, yellow jackets, smoke, winter for seasons some years!

fatbillybob

Steelhead
I club race cars and that has quite a necessary infrastructure. I have always thought when that chapter of my life ends, which is soon, I will sell the race gear for a Rubicon and learn a whole new skill set to get me to new places to fish.

My heart gets pumping at 150mph. I bet the same thrill comes with sliding off a rock, busting your driveshaft, and having to figure out how you are getting home. Is there generally a lot of fishing access at most off road destinations?

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I club race cars and that has quite a necessary infrastructure. I have always thought when that chapter of my life ends, which is soon, I will sell the race gear for a Rubicon and learn a whole new skill set to get me to new places to fish.

My heart gets pumping at 150mph. I bet the same thrill comes with sliding off a rock, busting your driveshaft, and having to figure out how you are getting home. Is there generally a lot of fishing access at most off road destinations?
Up in the Sierras there are quite a few small lakes with trout…