Rowing Lesson Trade Proposal

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter
Most of my river fishing is walk and wade style, and I've fished the Yakima a bit and I really enjoy it, especially when I've had a chance to fish it with a boat. I don't have a raft or drift boat yet, but am interested in just renting one from Red's the 2 or 3 times a year I get over that way. Raft might be in my future.....some day.

However, I need a little experience on the sticks first. I've rowed a drift boat on the Yakima exactly once, about 15 years ago. I have rowed pontoon boats, but only on lakes.

I've looked at the rowing lessons from Red's but wanted to throw this out there first.

I wanted to see if anyone with experience rowing the Yakima would be interested in trading a day on Puget Sound fishing for sea runs in my Whaler, for a day showing me the ropes rowing their raft/drift boat on the Yakima. No particular timeline in mind other than maybe sometime this spring/summer. My days off are a little wonky, but we can work out the details over PM if interested.

Jon

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Anyone who wants a fun day on the sound in a sweet ride should jump all over this. Jon knows how to fish the sound with the best of em, and I can say first hand that his Whaler is a fantastic boat to fish from.

LBL

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Hey if you want to come over to the OP I’d love to try to help. The SolDuc has a couple of easy sections that are great to learn on. IMHO learning on a river with more gradient and variety than the easier sections of the Yak will enhance your learning. Getting the basics and the feel here should give you the confidence to row the Yak in no time.
If you’re interested just shoot me a PM.
I’ve rowed a lot and I used to be a ACA certified whitwater kayak instructor and a certified IRF raft guide (https://www.internationalrafting.com/guiding/). 90% of rowing is knowing how to read water.

Last edited:

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter
I'd be up for something like this I've got a drift boat stashed over in the canyon and have been rowing DB's and rafts continuously since the mid 90's all over the place.
Hey if you want to come over to the OP I’d love to try to help. The SolDuc has a couple of easy sections that are great to learn on. IMHO learning on a river with more gradient and variety than the easier sections of the Yak will enhance your learning. Getting the basics and the feel here should give you the confidence to row the Yak in no time.
If you’re interested just shoot me a PM.
I’ve rowed a lot and I used to be a ACA certified whitwater kayak instructor and a certified IRF raft guide (https://www.internationalrafting.com/guiding/). 90% of rowing is knowing how to read water.
I love this community! I'm going to message you both.

maverick7898

Freshly Spawned
Jon,

I'll floating the Yakima on the 21st and 22nd your more than welcome to float along. I've floating the PNW river for 30 plus years and remember buying my first POS driftboat and winging it on the Green. I have another buddy who is new on the oars with his boat also going. Just message me.

Good Luck and bow towards danger,

Kevin