Ross Lake Intrigue

Chris Johnson

Steelhead
We went up to Ross Lake resort Thursday morning for our annual family weekend. In the late afternoon my nephew, who got there the day before, pulled up in his boat and told us he had been up north by Hozameen and he and his buddies had found a suitcase in the lake. He and his boat partner had spotted the case and told their friends in the other boat. The other boat went back and dragged the suitcase up on to the beach. It was a large case with buckles on three sides, they broke it open and found quarry rocks and plastic bags. They looked in one bag and saw a human foot, so they left and ran back to the resort and told the office. the next day we were up there Friday and there was a National Park ranger there on the beach. the dudes who pulled the case out of the water went over and show the guy where it was and then came back and fished with us. Two hours later the resorts big boat showed up with Half a dozen people in it and retrieved the body. the lake was as low as I have ever seen it and we were fishing in a huge field of stumps, so you had to pick your way through them to get to the fish. The road in from Hope has been washed out for the last two years, so no one has been in from that side since. Strange things come to light when a lake drops low enough.

the_chemist

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Crazy someone would dump a body there. The ranger/border guard house at hozameen has a solid view of the lake. A reasonable boarder patrol presence on the lake as well.

Lots of good memories putting in on the Canadian side, paddling down, and meeting friends who paddled up from the states. Also trout fishing on the Skagit up in bc is a wonderful experience.

Divad

Whitefish
The frick, why dismember the body in the first place if you’re going to dump it, not like the foot is much weight to save for that hike. Unless the foot was hacked off while the person was alive…😟 😔

the_chemist

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
The frick, why dismember the body in the first place if you’re going to dump it, not like the foot is much weight to save for that hike. Unless the foot was hacked off while the person was alive…😟 😔
On the bc side you can drive to the lake. There's campgrounds and a boat launch.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Easier to hide a compacted body.

Chris Johnson

Steelhead
Not sure I could have the wear withal to break open a large suitcase found at the bottom of a lake. Just sayin'

Report it - yes, open it - no.
Someone asked my nephew why he didn't pull the case from the lake and he said "I didn't want anything to do with it".

Chris Johnson

Steelhead
On the bc side you can drive to the lake. There's campgrounds and a boat launch.
The road has been washed out for 2 years. The last time I drove in there was no one there checking anything.

the_chemist

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
The road has been washed out for 2 years. The last time I drove in there was no one there checking anything.
Ya I knew it washed out the year after the fires in the upper skagit Valley. Bc provincial parks has a couple campgrounds there and that's the access for hozemeen/ the "boarder crossing station" is there. I haven't been up there in 3-4 years. Have you driven it after the washout?

Chris Johnson

Steelhead
Ya I knew it washed out the year after the fires in the upper skagit Valley. Bc provincial parks has a couple campgrounds there and that's the access for hozemeen/ the "boarder crossing station" is there. I haven't been up there in 3-4 years. Have you driven it after the washout?
No, it's still closed. I can't imagine that some one would come in from the U.S. side and then run all the way up the lake to dump a body, it's an hour run and it's deeper in the south end.

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
I found a bag with a laptop once in a swamp about a mile from a road. that was odd. The police came and got it.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Jim knew a lot about airplanes...
He did work at Boeing but I think he was in Everett not where they built the 727. Now if he had ever mentioned doing functional testing of the 727 aft air stairs… then we might be on to something… 🤔