Roper meets bamboo.

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
5AF90AAA-5E3B-40E2-A5C7-9B25B210C0D5_1_105_c.jpeg
So Roper imprudently dropped a hint that he was interested in buying a bamboo rod. Greg Armstrong, Ron Raport and I assembled an arsenal of seven to nine foot bamboo fly rods for him to try. Mostly 5 and 6 weights. Grangers and Phillipsons with a Sharpes and Winston and Carlin and Thomas thrown in for good measure.
5C7BB528-8627-4509-9BD5-4BE8E3664F8B_1_105_c.jpeg
Roper's verdict was that he liked the 7'6" 5 weights the best. A good time was had by all and there may be a follow up bamboo trip to Roper's Oroville place next spring.

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
Greg, Dave, and Ron were delightful hosts to an introduction to the world of bamboo rods. I loved casting all the different rods they brought. Slightly overwhelmed by all the variations I trusted my casting results. This pointed me to a 7.5‘ 4-5 weight as Dave mentioned. I’m looking forward to hosting these guys at the ranch in the spring. Hopefully I’ll have a new rod by then…thanks guys!

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
When it comes to close quarters or small game fishing, bamboo and fiberglass is tough to beat for me. I'm not quite in the tax brackets for justifying bamboo I would use maybe once a year, but I've greatly enjoyed my experiences with them.

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
When it comes to close quarters or small game fishing, bamboo and fiberglass is tough to beat for me. I'm not quite in the tax brackets for justifying bamboo I would use maybe once a year, but I've greatly enjoyed my experiences with them.
Bamboo is cheaper than you think, Evan B, especially if you do you research and buy used. I've got a collection of Winston, Sharpes, Granger and Phillipson bamboo rods with an average price of $398/rod. Purchased them from ebay, used tackle dealers, craigslist and members of this site and the classic fly rod forum. Part of the fun is doing the research and bargain hunting...

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Bamboo is cheaper than you think, Evan B, especially if you do you research and buy used. I've got a collection of Winston, Sharpes, Granger and Phillipson bamboo rods with an average price of $398/rod. Purchased them from ebay, used tackle dealers, craigslist and members of this site and the classic fly rod forum. Part of the fun is doing the research and bargain hunting...
Maybe some day. Like I said, I do very, very little fishing that would call for it (mostly due to proximity to that type of fishing...nothing close by). Hard for me to put up that kind of money for something that will be an ornament most the year.

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Maybe some day. Like I said, I do very, very little fishing that would call for it (mostly due to proximity to that type of fishing...nothing close by). Hard for me to put up that kind of money for something that will be an ornament most the year.
Understood. I've switched to bamboo for almost all my fishing. An impregnated 9' 6 weight bamboo rod for the salt water. 10', 12' and 13' spliced Sharpes bamboo spey rods for steelhead. 9' Grangers and Winstons and Phillipsons for bull trout and low lakes. 8'6" Phillipsons and Sharpes and Grangers for high lakes and rivers. Small bamboo rods for mountain creeks. The only non-bamboo rod I've fished this year was a Tenkara rod on a meadow stream and I soon gave it up and switched back to my 6'9" Constable.

Graphite can't be beat for portability. I still have a couple 9' orvis 6 piece travel rods which fit inside a suitcase. Haven't fished them yet this year but they come in handy when there are luggage restrictions.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
It was a pleasure to meet you Roper. The world of bamboo is so diverse it can seem overwhelming at first, (I know it was/is for me!), but that is part of its appeal for a lot of us that have gotten “hooked” on it! Enjoy the journey!