Rooftop Tents

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
I really can’t think of a piece of kit less useful than a rooftop tent. Advantage: light. Disadvantage: needs an f’in ladder for ingress and egress. No stakes to hold it down or to anchor a rainfly in weather. No insulation. Did I mention you need a ladder to load and unload your stuff?

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I really can’t think of a piece of kit less useful than a rooftop tent. Advantage: light. Disadvantage: needs an f’in ladder for ingress and egress. No stakes to hold it down or to anchor a rainfly in weather. No insulation. Did I mention you need a ladder to load and unload your stuff?
At 74 years old, unless I used a pee jar, that's too many trips down and back up a ladder in the middle of the night. It seems like rooftop tents are a younger persons tool of choice, HotelsRus.

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
Guess there are pros and cons. I guess it gets you off the ground, and you can keep your bed roll or what ever contained.

You guys have listed a few cons already. Since I have a travel trailer, it’s all a moot point for me anyway.

RCF

Life of the Party
Cartop tents are perfect!

They raise you up above the snakes.
They allow you to hear the frogs unencumbered.
You can see all the stars and moon right from bed.
They are a helluva lot cheaper than hotels and motels.
Sleeping in one is free, onsite vehicle protection from tweekers.
Peeing is not a problem ---> think Niagara Falls.
When that baby is rocking, don't bother knocking...

Come on! What more could you want or ask for?

Dogsnfish

Steelhead
I would have loved to have one of those in my younger days when I would just sleep in the back of my truck! I think of when we used to hang out in the desert, or when we could just find an old logging road in the cascades to stop for the night. But my tent is a 24' travel trailer these days, with a bathroom and shower.

Flyrig

Just Hatched
At 74 years old, unless I used a pee jar, that's too many trips down and back up a ladder in the middle of the night. It seems like rooftop tents are a younger persons tool of choice, HotelsRus.
Yeah I now have tent cot and it beats crawling/falling down those ladders in the night! Pretty much the same as a roof tent that is on the ground and works great.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Is that a clam shelter? How do you like it?
The wife bought it and she loves it! I'm okay with it because it's easy set up and take down, and can be staked down against the wind. I take it when she comes along on trips. It's a fairly large package; six foot long and probably a foot in diameter if memory serves.

5 Weight

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
And when you want to run a few miles up or down stream to hit a few “honey holes”,you have to pack all your stuff up. The fact that they are plentiful on Craigs List says it all.

Last edited:

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yeah I now have tent cot and it beats crawling/falling down those ladders in the night! Pretty much the same as a roof tent that is on the ground and works great.

Plus pissing off the ladder in bare feet is hard on your feet. Then you get to have a sweet piss patch to deal with in the morning. You gotta keep slippers up there to range when you piss.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Pitching a tent on the ground is often trouble enough but in mid air? C'mon, man...

Those car topper dudes remind me of the van life set that sold their homes and moved into a van at the urging of Bob Wells. The Pied Piper of the wannabee nomads. Once the romantic rhetoric wore off they realized: "Oh fuck-we're homeless and can't even turn around in this damned thing." The life of the lemmings.