Rod Storage Project and Montana in Feb

I've been tossing around some ideas for rod storage. I'll post an image below of some 3D prototyping. Planning to make something in the near future. On the cold days, I don't feel like wood working (shop isn't heated), and on the warm days, I run to the river. I'll have to plan ahead and stay home next time it gets above freezing out. Not much chance of that.

It was like spring for the last couple of weeks here in Montana. first it was in the 40s, then 50s, and it just kept climbing. Had a couple of days around 65 last week. Fish were eating midges on the surface everywhere you looked. Light rain all day long, in that regard it reminded me of winter fishing on the Olympic Peninsula. I was just planning to swing streamers around with my 6wt and a sink tip and enjoy the patter of rain on my hood and nobody else on the river. It was warm enough to avoid gloves. I had 7 fish in the net within the first hour. The fish were getting lucky too, missed just as many in that short window. I text my friend, and he ran down to join me, showed up with a dry fly rig and a couple of midges. Ended up swapping back and forth a few times when we found pods of rising fish. It was my first time using a 9' 3wt... absolute joy and now I have to try talking myself out of buying one every waking moment.

I should probably commit to building the rod rack at the very least, before adding another one to the collection.

Attachments

• signal-2024-02-06-113437.jpeg
    signal-2024-02-06-113437.jpeg
    501.2 KB · Views: 52
  • signal-2024-02-06-113503.jpeg
    signal-2024-02-06-113503.jpeg
    353.3 KB · Views: 24
  • signal-2024-02-06-113557.jpeg
    signal-2024-02-06-113557.jpeg
    375.7 KB · Views: 26
  • signal-2024-02-06-113530.jpeg
    signal-2024-02-06-113530.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 52
  • rod tube storage.png
    rod tube storage.png
    268 KB · Views: 52

Divad

Whitefish
Nice fish! I heard the warmup had trout eating like mad over there.

Only downside I see is the rack will require plenty of space on the side to pull the tubes out. Might not be an issue for you.

Nice fish! I heard the warmup had trout eating like mad over there.

Only downside I see is the rack will require plenty of space on the side to pull the tubes out. Might not be an issue for you.
True, I have room where I plan to use it but it could be an issue in the future. I have an idea to remove the solid posts on the front corners and use more of an L bracket to support each level of rod tubes... similar to a curtain rod bracket, that way you wouldn't have to slide them in from the sides.

Only downside is that each set of brackets would take up more space vertically, so the unit would have to be a little taller. something to think about!

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
True, I have room where I plan to use it but it could be an issue in the future. I have an idea to remove the solid posts on the front corners and use more of an L bracket to support each level of rod tubes... similar to a curtain rod bracket, that way you wouldn't have to slide them in from the sides.

Only downside is that each set of brackets would take up more space vertically, so the unit would have to be a little taller. something to think about!
Don’t use L brackets…just a round screw head should keep the tubes from rolling off…