Rod holder question

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
I’m starting to research options for rod holders similar to what I see used by BC chironomid fishers. They look like this.
3FC6CA83-E367-47FA-A782-22B477B654B5.jpeg
My boat is currently set up with receivers/bases for Tempress/Fish on type rod holders. Is anyone running the type pictured and are they compatible with my receivers? Thanks

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
That's the new and improved version of the Scotty.
I have the Berkley's but these look better.
No on the Tempress holders.
I can't remember which mounts work with the Berkley.

Last edited:

EmergingFisher

Life of the Party
Great topic. Fumbling with my generic Scotty rod holder with fly rods that don't have fighting butts is getting old and I was starting to mentally design a DIY holder. Turns out that Berkley happen to be a couple bucks off on a large website right now - order in

Shaker Jake

Smolt
Forum Supporter
I started with the old Scotty fly rod holders. Switched to the Berkley type as soon as I saw them. Much simpler setting and removing the rod. Drawback is that they really only hold the rods horizontally. Not vertices for travel or storage. Tension system on the arms is also limited.

Then switched to the Scotty R5 as soon as I saw one. Better construction. Better tensioning. Still only good for horizontal rod holding so you can’t safely travel with rod in holder. So I don’t.

Holder is only designed to keep a fish from pulling a rod out of the boat. And that’s ok with me.

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
My boat has two flush-style mounts that don’t look super easy to swap out. Looking at the fish-on rod holder site I saw their light tackle version. Is anyone familiar? I’ve sent Tempress an email inquiry.

BC1426A0-1B8C-4AC6-92B5-359F926DBCE9.jpeg

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
In the interest of seeing if the Tempress/Fish-on system can do the job, I ordered one of the light tackle version rod holders. As expected, it’s compatible with the bases I have already. My goal was solving the issue of how to manage a second rod. The lake I fished yesterday isn’t deep enough to need a full sink vertical presentation so I used an indicator and basically fished next to the boat while actively working a second rod. So far, so good. I was able to spot a take and quickly pull the rod free to set the hook several times. The real test though was when I wasn’t paying attention and heard the drag as a fish had hooked itself and made a good run. Even doubled over with a big fish attached it was pretty easy to lift the rod free to play the fish. I’m going to work with it this season.
6D67AE1C-EEE7-4BA5-836D-D4192A51866D.jpeg

C9CF7871-586D-4469-A9A5-B3DFD2955C77.jpeg
A6DF4DB7-1486-47B2-9A3F-926A4DF9C172.jpeg

onefish

Steelhead
I have switched over from the berkley quick set to the scotty R'5s. The only thing I don't like about them is the line rubs against the holder when a fish takes line. I had the same issue with my Berkleys. So far I have only been catching low grade Fraser Valley domestics here on the island but in the interior the Pennasks will give this a much better test. As with all scotty stuff it is well made and you can adjust the tension arm. I highly recommend getting a set of slip discs. This makes it much easier to get the exact rod angle you are looking for, this is very important for vertical fishing IMO. I see rod has a set on his in the video.

1653234749370.png

Last edited: