Rod building station/Desk question

Denwor54

Life of the Party
I’m in the process of remodeling a room that was used as a my tying room. I plan on using the room for rod wrapping and rod finishing. Looking for lighting, storage and desk configuration suggestions. I have two power wrappers which I use for finishing and rod wrapping. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Tight lines
Dennis

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
This is what I started, I plan on adding Shelving abouve for storage, a drying booth with 2 drying motors that can be closed for dust free dying. Someday, someday LOL.

20170904_181702.jpg

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Following because I’m thinking about building a rod-building station too.

How much space is needed? Shop open space is 12x22

Denwor54

Life of the Party
This is what I started, I plan on adding Shelving abouve for storage, a drying booth with 2 drying motors that can be closed for dust free dying. Someday, someday LOL.

View attachment 73150
Thanks Brian, I was thinking about cabinets below but they may get in way. Not sure about what type of top is yours melamine?

Paige

My rod wrapper is 96"(8') long table is 97"L x 24"W. 1 layer plywood then 1 layer of the vinyl coated mdf and 2x4 frame, it is 3" too short, just due too the front 2x4 hits my legs

Paige

Thanks Brian, I was thinking about cabinets below but they may get in way. Not sure about what type of top is yours melamine?
Melamine would work most extently for sure!

Denwor54

Life of the Party
I have the materials to make something similar to what you made. I hate working with melamine been thinking about putting a delron top which will make clean up easier.

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
I have the materials to make something similar to what you made. I hate working with melamine been thinking about putting a delron top which will make clean up easier.
I have some large chunks of UHMW left over from my tying/fishing bench build. If I remember right I have a 10’ long chunk that’s at least 2’ wide by 5/8” thick. As well as lots of other drops but none as long. Might be perfect for your application. I love it for my table top it’s doesn’t scratch rods or reels and I can wipe it clean easily and use solvents to take off adhesives, etc.

Denwor54

Life of the Party
I have some large chunks of UHMW left over from my tying/fishing bench build. If I remember right I have a 10’ long chunk that’s at least 2’ wide by 5/8” thick. As well as lots of other drops but none as long. Might be perfect for your application. I love it for my table top it’s doesn’t scratch rods or reels and I can wipe it clean easily and use solvents to take off adhesives, etc.
If you don’t having any plans for using it I would be more than happy to trade purchase or whatever is fair for you. Is it white or black?

Denwor54

Life of the Party
Getting close to finishing this project it’s been more work than I thought. Replaced theE733269F-7E4C-4884-A058-7035E2DC02A8.jpeg99056050-6671-4E83-A345-698796C4C8A0.jpeg ceiling used sugar pine for crown molding, window casing, base molding and refloored with vinyl flooring. Built finishing table and I will need to set up rod turners and attach the node presses to the bench.

Attachments

• 43A81351-D7CD-4D5B-BE84-F46EA924D094.jpeg
    43A81351-D7CD-4D5B-BE84-F46EA924D094.jpeg
    513.3 KB · Views: 14

RCF

Life of the Party
The effort expended to make it the way you want is not work, it is time and effort well-spent. It is looking great!

I have had 3 different set up over the years, started with a 3 ft by 4 ft table then a little longer now it is 2.5 wide by 13 ft long ,you don’t need it that long to wrap rods but that long helps when finishing spey rods and space underneath to put your legs when you are on a rolling chair with finish and brush in hand to slide from one end to the other uninterrupted by obstacles, I also like to have my elbows rest on the table and have the rod at eye level when wrapping,having to hold up arms after a while dose start to hurt.Having a overhead light that is adjustable is nice I use a ott fly tying light with magnifier, just some ideas

Denwor54

Life of the Party
I have had 3 different set up over the years, started with a 3 ft by 4 ft table then a little longer now it is 2.5 wide by 13 ft long ,you don’t need it that long to wrap rods but that long helps when finishing spey rods and space underneath to put your legs when you are on a rolling chair with finish and brush in hand to slide from one end to the other uninterrupted by obstacles, I also like to have my elbows rest on the table and have the rod at eye level when wrapping,having to hold up arms after a while dose start to hurt.Having a overhead light that is adjustable is nice I use a ott fly tying light with magnifier, just some ideas
Thanks for the tips I built the table 28 inches by 8ft by 33 inches high which matches my tying table. And I also left room for drawers underneath which I have made already. Just can’t make up my mind if I want to trick it out with a nice hardwood top and a self edge to match. I used to be a cabinet maker and have the wood and tools to really doll it out. All my wood milling will be in my shop and this room will be just for wrapping, finishing and node straightening.

I would make it as nice as you want knowing you will eventually get tape glue thread sealer razor blade cuts and any other adhesive or sticky stuff on it ,mine is a nice wood top I just sand and refinish it every couple yrs

Mike Monsos

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Looks great Dennis! I use painter's paper in the 12" wide rolls on my bench to try to keep from leaving too big a mess. I'll put down six layers for a glue up, then as the top layer gets messy, I pull it and start fresh again with the next layer underneath.