Rocks

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Just a simple chunk of granite I think? I picked this some 50 years ago from the N fork Skykomish as a kid because I couldn't believe how spherical it was at the time. Modest but it has become like an old friend that I've hung onto as a memento.
View attachment 108116

Same here, I picked this up on a small coastal stream about 25 years ago. I believe it is a granite-type as well. Only thing is we should not have granite over here on the Olympic coast. So this one is a mystery. Might have come in on a road fill from far away.
rrooee.jpg

(Below) Here is a fun one. Just when you thought going out to fish and/or look for rocks as a peaceful, relaxing endeavor you come across something that ends up being brainstraining ! Found this on a semi-coastal stream. Material wise, it is standard Si02..agate, carnelian, quartz stuff. It looks like it has crystallization patterns. So seemed that was end of the story. Until, I took it to a rock shop and the geology department at a college to ask some questions about some finds. Both gentlemen told me it was petrified sage. Replaced sage, just like petrified wood, with quartz.

So, now the fossil rock becomes brain work. Sage in western WA? Obviously not in the recent times at all. So the professor filled me in on a great story. This was the thinking 20 years ago. When the land in western WA had sage, there were pronghorn antelope here, as there are still herds across the western/central plains (and reintroduced here in WA state some now). Antelope are a good bunch faster than anything else in North America in the speed department.. Why? They had to escape a predator that pushed them to evolve that top end speed. A coyote is about the fastest predator here and not in the class of a pronghorn. So what missing predator? A piece of the puzzle is amiss.

The answer is cheetah were here chasing the antelope and pushing the evolving speed race. Thoughts are cheetah actually are North American and migrated up and over the land bridge to Asia and then all the way to Africa and kept evolving to modern cats long ago to how they are today (one asian population exists).

Some agree, some don't that this happened this way. We do know that until after the last ice age there was a large cheetah-like creature living and preying on pronghorn via fossil records.

I like to think that this was a clump of sage lying under a cheetah while it was feeding on a pronghorn in a place that would become modern, nearly rainforest terrain. Far from just a rock. Anyone, feel free to correct or add to this !
sagessss.jpg

chethssss.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Neat thread. I came across this piece of quartz today, and where I was all I can think is that long ago it was in a piece of ice that probably floated here in the flood. Not likely of in-situ origin I don't think. C&R.
20240326_quartz.jpg

SKYKO

Tail End Boomer
Forum Supporter
Same here, I picked this up on a small coastal stream about 25 years ago. I believe it is a granite-type as well. Only thing is we should not have granite over here on the Olympic coast. So this one is a mystery. Might have come in on a road fill from far away.
View attachment 108348

(Below) Here is a fun one. Just when you thought going out to fish and/or look for rocks as a peaceful, relaxing endeavor you come across something that ends up being brainstraining ! Found this on a semi-coastal stream. Material wise, it is standard Si02..agate, carnelian, quartz stuff. It looks like it has crystallization patterns. So seemed that was end of the story. Until, I took it to a rock shop and the geology department at a college to ask some questions about some finds. Both gentlemen told me it was petrified sage. Replaced sage, just like petrified wood, with quartz.

So, now the fossil rock becomes brain work. Sage in western WA? Obviously not in the recent times at all. So the professor filled me in on a great story. This was the thinking 20 years ago. When the land in western WA had sage, there were pronghorn antelope here, as there are still herds across the western/central plains (and reintroduced here in WA state some now). Antelope are a good bunch faster than anything else in North America in the speed department.. Why? They had to escape a predator that pushed them to evolve that top end speed. A coyote is about the fastest predator here and not in the class of a pronghorn. So what missing predator? A piece of the puzzle is amiss.

The answer is cheetah were here chasing the antelope and pushing the evolving speed race. Thoughts are cheetah actually are North American and migrated up and over the land bridge to Asia and then all the way to Africa and kept evolving to modern cats long ago to how they are today (one asian population exists).

Some agree, some don't that this happened this way. We do know that until after the last ice age there was a large cheetah-like creature living and preying on pronghorn via fossil records.

I like to think that this was a clump of sage lying under a cheetah while it was feeding on a pronghorn in a place that would become modern, nearly rainforest terrain. Far from just a rock. Anyone, feel free to correct or add to this !
View attachment 108368

View attachment 108366
Really cool stuff!

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Really cool stuff!
I'll second that!

Many years ago, I went out with a seasoned sapphire hunter. Gene showed me how to go about the screening process & what a sapphire looked like. I went to work just filled with anticipation. After several rounds of screening, I spotted one! I scrambled over to Gene to show him my discovery. "Not a sapphire, kid, but it is a nice piece of Leverite." "Leverite," I inquired? "Yup" said Gene as he he tossed the sample away. "Leave 'r right there. It's just a rock."

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I'll second that!

Many years ago, I went out with a seasoned sapphire hunter. Gene showed me how to go about the screening process & what a sapphire liked like. I went to work just filled with anticipation. After several rounds of screening, I spotted one! I scrambled over to Gene to show him my discovery. "Not a sapphire, kid, but it is a nice piece of Leverite." "Leverite," I inquired? "Yup" said Gene as he he tossed the sample away. "Leave 'r right there. It's just a rock."
I spent a lot of summers digging sapphires at El Dorado bar. Endless hours screening rocks in the Missouri. I'd just dream of fishing. We got a lot of nice stones. My uncle would cut the ones we wanted, and bought the others.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Anyone on here ever find a Ellensburg blue?
I’ve looked many times, but never found one.
SF

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Near home, sapphires were generally green, but I did find an orange one. It wasn't very large and I never did anything with it. I had some nice green ones cut however.

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I've puzzled over this melted rock for 15 years, wondering about its history. I picked it up out in sagebrush scablands on the east edge of Crook county, Oregon. Where I found this the country rock is mostly basalt. Essentially 4-sided, two facets appear vitrified from tremendous heat, a third is partially melted and partially somewhat crystalline, and the largest face is unremarkable. Lightning? The sky was falling?

3BD8354F-2D17-476D-A48A-7970A1AF4E42.jpeg

A35A0661-7B26-493C-A34E-EE06E97F51ED.jpeg

4C8CEEE1-A62F-4CA6-8493-F2DE5FF90D62.jpeg

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I've puzzled over this melted rock for 15 years, wondering about its history. I picked it up out in sagebrush scablands on the east edge of Crook county, Oregon. Where I found this the country rock is mostly basalt. Essentially 4-sided, two facets appear vitrified from tremendous heat, a third is partially melted and partially somewhat crystalline, and the largest face is unremarkable. Lightning? The sky was falling?

View attachment 108644

View attachment 108643

View attachment 108642
From the first two pictures, I wondered about "the sky was falling" too, a friend of mine used to collect meteorites. Another friend actively looked for fulgurites and had quite a collection he found downstream of Vantage Bridge.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
Anyone on here ever find a Ellensburg blue?
I’ve looked many times, but never found one.
SF
I think I may have found one today while out rockhounding with my brother and nephews.
1000007243.jpg
We're in E'burg to attend 3 Nick Zentner lectures in the evenings and roaming agate and geode sites during the day.