Rocks

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I must have driving my coworkers nuts and certainly caused my wife to roll her eyes a few times. At work I had a collection of rocks that had been cut with a diamond wire saw on some of the construction projects. I'd bring home rocks from my river fishing adventures, I had quite a "display" on my fly tying room dresser (they're now dispersed around the garden faucet riser). A few rocks:

DSCF2108.JPG

DSCF2114.JPG

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Wasn't the famous line from Norman Maclean in "A River Runs Through It" that there was no clear line between religion and fishing in their family?

Well, with me there is no line between fishing and rockhounding (forgetting the extra amateur pursuits of birds..general geology and other things I know less than .02% about.. ). I spend my time looking at my feet, the water, the sky like many of you guys.

Last edited:

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Wow! Great finds, John.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Wasn't the famous line from Norman MacClean in "A River Runs Through It" that there was no clear line between religion and fishing in their family?

Well, with me there is no line between fishing and rockhounding (forgetting the extra amateur pursuits of birds..general geology and other things I know about .02% about.. ). I spend my time looking at my feet, the water, the sky like many of you guys.

I am still looking for my first dinosaur bone or mastodon molar, but am happy just finding petrified wood and lesser fossils like agatized clams.

Is that a good seam for a trout or a good place to look for seam agate??
View attachment 108050

View attachment 108038

View attachment 108039

View attachment 108036

View attachment 108037

agatized fossil bivalve showing the "hinge"
View attachment 108045
I was hoping you'd chime in on this thread!!

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
My dad made me a rock hound as a little kid……my wife and I collected rocks from various vacations, beaches, fishing trips wherever. After about 25 years and buckets full behind the garage, we turned them into a water feature in our backyard. I buried a stainless steel beer keg with a submersible pump that circulates the water to “Pee Bear” a chainsaw carved bear I made years ago. I lined the stream with rubberized material and stuck all of our rocks in and around it. The center piece is a 175 pound piece of petrified wood my dad found from the Vantage area way back in the’60s. Lots of agates scattered around and some cool petrified fir needle rocks from a local river.
IMG_1312.jpegIMG_1311.jpeg

SKYKO

Tail End Boomer
Forum Supporter
Just a simple chunk of granite I think? I picked this some 50 years ago from the N fork Skykomish as a kid because I couldn't believe how spherical it was at the time. Modest but it has become like an old friend that I've hung onto as a memento.
20240325_074137.jpg20240325_074130.jpg

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Found this while out fishing.
I believe someone added the eyes to the human figure at a later date.
SF

IMG_6857.jpeg