NFR RIP Bob Heil of Heil Sound & Heil Ham Radio

Non-fishing related

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
For all of y'all who have enjoyed listening to live concert music since the mid 1960s, from the Amateur Radio Relay League (ARRL) Newsletter today

The man who defined the sound of live rock 'n' roll music and brought audio engineering principals into mainstream amateur radio use, Dr. Bob Heil, K9EID, has passed away at the age of 83.

Bob Heil, K9EID.
He was an ARRL Life Member and in the ARRL Maxim Society. A Facebook post from Heil Ham Radio paid tribute to their founder: "Bob fought a valiant, yearlong battle with cancer, and passed peacefully surrounded by his family."
Heil founded Heil Sound in 1966, through which he created the template for modern concert sound systems for musicians like the Grateful Dead, The Who, Joe Walsh, and Peter Frampton.

"RIP, man. I love you and miss you already. Sending love to Sarah and to the world of audioheads you leave behind," said rocker Joe Walsh, in a Facebook post. [Joe Walsh is also an amateur radio enthusiast]
The talk box used on iconic live record Frampton Comes Alive! was Heil's design. His audio engineering products have been featured in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, and he was honored in 2007 with the Parnelli Audio Innovator Award for his impact on the live sound industry. "My life has been about achieving great sound, whether on the concert stage or in the amateur radio world," Bob Heil recounted in 2022. "I've watched Heil Sound go from a regional sound company to a world-class microphone manufacturer. This company has been my passion," he said."

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
I saw that in a trade rag I subscribe to. I’ve chatted with Bob time or two over the years. He was a talented man in his own right.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have never heard of the man. I will say that if he was involved with live music and the sound that came to my ears, I appreciate him and all his efforts.

Rip.