Rio WF8I OBS and WF12 S Triangle Taper

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
Took this 8 wt 235 gr line off a reel I now have another use for. Line was obviously taken off the original spool and reeled on a reel but never fished or cast. Can't even remember what the plan was for this. Some hare-brained idea no doubt that never came to fruition. It's not doing me any good. Will sell for $45 and ship it to you. I believe that is less than half price. Also found a new in the box Wulff Triangle Taper full sinking WF12. $40 shipped.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Is the OBS an 8 or a 6 weight? 235 grains would be the 6 weight in the current Outbound line up (and 8wt is 330 gr)

albula

Forum Supporter
Is the OBS an 8 or a 6 weight? 235 grains would be the 6 weight in the current Outbound line up (and 8wt is 330 gr)
Now you have me cornfused. When I took it off the reel I was sure the sticker said WF8I. Sure enough that I replaced it with a WF6I which does not have a gr weight on the sticker. In trying to remove the little sticker thing it was destroyed except the part that clearly says 235gr so I can't recheck. Perhaps my geriatric eyes failed me once again but I am pretty sure it said WF8I. This line is probably 4 or 5 years old although never used. Head portion is gray and the running line yellow. Other than that I'm not sure what to tell you. Edit: Under closer examination with a magnifier it sure appears to say it was a WF8I. The 235 is very clear however.

albula

Forum Supporter
As it is blatantly obvious that I don't know exactly what this line is I make the following offer. If anyone wants it let me know. The price is reduced to $0. All I ask is if it is not suitable for your needs that you pass it on to someone else at the same price it cost you.

albula

Forum Supporter
As a follow up on this. I did have someone volunteer to accept this no cost $100 fly line. In an effort for complete transparency I found that he has never in his time here made an original posting nor secondary comment on anything other than this offer for a free fly line. While it is entirely possible he is a completely above board individual who perhaps is not an extremely accomplished social media/ internet warrior such as Salmo and, of course, myself, it does give me some cause for concern. It would pain me a bit if this unused line ended up for sale on a site not to be named in an effort to make a few bucks. Consequently I'll leave it open for a while. In the event that no regular contributors here speak up I will send him the line as I offered and hope for the best.

Last edited:

RCF

Life of the Party
On a side note, a couple years ago (pandemic time) I provided a number of nice fly tie/fish books for free to a newer member with the provision that he pay it forward for what he paid for them $0 if/when they moved them on. He honored that request. Made me feel good knowing good people congregate here.

Last edited:

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I believe @Merle nailed it. Looks like an 8 but “upon further review..”
IMG_2052.jpeg

albula

Forum Supporter
The OBS has a home. Wouldn't that 12 full sink have a future in albie world?

MGM

“Just glad to be here”
Forum Supporter
I'm in the early planning stages of a tarpon trip to Fla. Assuming the Wulff sinking line is a saltwater line I would like to add that to my arsenal. I also could use the Rio line whether it be a 6wt or 8 wt. A 6 I'll use locally or if it's an 8, preferably, as a replacement for one of my salmon lines. For your generosity on the Rio line I would be glad to cover shipping on both lines. Thanks, Monte

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The OBS has a home. Wouldn't that 12 full sink have a future in albie world?
It would be doable but a 12 full sink might be a handful. Biggest I usually carry is a 10 F/S. Could use the 12 around wrecks for AJs and Grouper but they’d have a short life span as their anti-metallic coating wears out fast. 😅

albula

Forum Supporter
WF12S has been spoken for.