Rigs/lures for SMB from the bank?

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Got some rigs to fish for lings/rockfish last year, realized I probably have most of the gear to fish for SMB. I figure gear might be a good way to scout for SMB spots along the columbia.

Do swimbaits work well? Jigs? I used to use banjo minnows back in the 90's for river smallies and they absolutely killed, even if the rig was a pain in the ass and the minnows didn't last that long.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Swimbaits will work.. actually everything works ans works well. Biggest think you'll need is good sturdy boots, you'll be walking on rip rap a lot.

atomic dog

Steelhead
Man, if I could only use one bait for smallies it would be a 5" Kalin's grub in watermelon with whatever size jig head gets me to the depth I want.

Parent-Kalins-Lunker-Grub-2.jpg

23811.jpg

Ned rigs are great for them as well, although you would quickly get frustrated from losing them in the rip rap constantly.

1654791474346.jpeg

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Man, if I could only use one bait for smallies it would be a 5" Kalin's grub in watermelon with whatever size jig head gets me to the depth I want.

Parent-Kalins-Lunker-Grub-2.jpg

23811.jpg

Ned rigs are great for them as well, although you would quickly get frustrated from losing them in the rip rap constantly.

View attachment 17595
Grubs are definitely a good choice.
Last weekend I was getting lots of short strikes on swim baits, switched to grubs and started landing fish..

Aufwuchs

Steelhead
I'm a big fan of wacky rigged Senkos for both SMB and LMB, but have not tried them in current like you would have in the Columbia.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Senkos for numbers, white swimbaits (or grubs) for fun (and occasionally numbers)

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
1/2 Oz white tandem willow blade spinnerbait is the best big smallmouth lure in my book, and an absolute go to in the wind.
I'd. Also recommend crankbaits but fishing them from the bank can get expensive quickly.

Lastly do not under any circumstances walk along the Columbia's rip rap when it is wet. There is a film of sediment on the rocks that is the slickest substance on the planet. When it's raining or otherwise wet fish the ponds between the RR tracks and the highway where the rocks are clean. I am lucky to be alive from the falls I have taken out there, not that hitting my head on those rocks would cause me any damage :)

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Everything said above is good. I’d also suggest:

Big fan of the trd and bugz. I fish them on 1/16 down to 1/24oz jig heads.

I also like buzzbaits and I’m particular the counter rotating blade ones. Fitt lures has some that are nice.

I also like the fitt lures solid body river darter. Nose hook them with 1/0 gammy octopus hook and fish as jerkbait. Could also go with belly weighted swimbait hook and some case plastics or fluke baits too. Both are different enough that I carry both but if you tend to fish shallower or deeper water, might get away with just one. The fitt river darters are decent but aren’t the most durable.