Rescue, maybe…

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
@Islander texted me that he has a bamboo rod that needs a reel seat and maybe some grip repair. I’m prompting him to post some photos and get some feedback. Hold on…

Islander

Life of the Party
Got this from when my wife used to do estate sales so I have no history. Looks as if someone was in the process of redoing this rod but it needs the cork finished and a reel seat. There are no markings and I’m not sure if it’s worth having the work done. If someone is interested in completing this, let me know what the cost would be and we can go from there. It’s a three piece 9’. Wraps appear fairly new. Thanks in advance for any help. Steve

IMG_2245.jpegIMG_2244.jpegIMG_2243.jpegIMG_2242.jpeg

jerry

Steelhead
Looks like a straight forward fix. To do it right you will have to remove the stripping guide so that you can put on a new cork grip. The hole in the cork grip will have to be reamed to fit the taper of the bamboo. The new reel seat will be put on first from the butt end. Make sure you align the reel seat to one of the flats on the bamboo rod. Depending on the condition of the wraps and the varnish you might want to remove the varnish, wraps and guides. I use a single edge razor blade to scrape off the varnish. Never use sandpaper to remove the varnish. You also want to inspect the ferrules to make sure they are not cracked. There is more to it than what I have described but nothing you can't find on YOUTUBE.

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
What Jerry said it right, but I have had success once doing everything from the butt end up and leaving the stripping guide intact. It is a bit tricky to do because of the taper of the cane, but it might work. First, I assume there is a winding check snug against the upper end of the cork grip. If there isn't this probably has no chance to work. If so, carefully but fully strip off all the old cork and make sure the old glue residue is sanded down to the cane level. Next, pick out a cork grip and seat that together are the same length that you need to fill up. The seat can extend a little beyond the end of the cane if you want but can't be short leaving cane sticking out from the butt. Ream out the center hole of the replacement cork grip just wide enough, but no wider, to snugly slide up into place from the butt end and slide it up until it snugs that winding check. The opening of the cork up the rod will likely be a little wider than the cane at the winding check, but the check will hide that cosmetic issue. Then mount the seat. There are many steps that could go a bit off but it's something I'd try if you wanted to keep that stripping guide and wraps "original." Good luck!

RCF

Life of the Party
Excuse me for interjecting here but thinking out loud... Since the manufacturer and model is unknown would it be beneficial to cast a line or two to determine if it is worth the investment to bring the rod back to being used as fishable? Some rods are worth the investment, some are not...

Some are worth the investment due to family history regardless of the amount. That does not seem the case here.

Obviously someone thought it was worth it. Reason why is TBD.

Bringing a rod back to life has a lot of satisfaction and is well deserved. Just not all of them...

Last edited:

Mike Monsos

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
At a glance the grip might be salvaged by filling the pits if the overall shape of it is acceptable. Then you could zip tie or tape a reel on the reel seat location to do a bit of test casting to see if the rod is worth the effort. I would suggest more guides would help. For testing you could use Teflon plumbers' tape to add a few guides to possibly improve the personality of the rod. Here is what I use to dress up grips that have a bit too many pits in the cork.

Last edited:

Islander

Life of the Party
Thanks for all the info! I like the idea of trying to cast it, I’ll try that this week. I am also ok with the handle if the cork can just be smoothed out. I’m not interested in doing a project that I know very little about and was hoping to find someone here that I could pay to add a reel seat. I’ll zip tie a reel on it and see what it feels like to cast. Any ideas on line weight? Maybe a 5 or 6?

Mike Monsos

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
For testing tie on an older heavy fly reel and try the balance. It should balance close to the nose of the grip or within an inch or two of the end of it. Once you find the right reel you can use any reel and line weight you have on hand, lay the testing line reel on the ground and peel off 50' of line. Thread the rod and see how it feels. Then do the same with any other reel and line you have. That way the rod is balanced, and you don't have to respool fly lines for testing. I'd start with a 5 and work my way up. Slow your stroke down and let the rod load and do the work.

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
It looks like a Montague to me…..should make a good Hotrod! You can add more guides to make it a better caster but give it a try first, it’s fishable as is. As far as the cork grip, you can replace it from the rear without removing guides. Since the taper is backwards (not much) you can build up the blank at the winding check with masking tape. Any questions, I’d be glad to help Steve!

Islander

Life of the Party
For testing tie on an older heavy fly reel and try the balance. It should balance close to the nose of the grip or within an inch or two of the end of it. Once you find the right reel you can use any reel and line weight you have on hand, lay the testing line reel on the ground and peel off 50' of line. Thread the rod and see how it feels. Then do the same with any other reel and line you have. That way the rod is balanced, and you don't have to respool fly lines for testing. I'd start with a 5 and work my way up. Slow your stroke down and let the rod load and do the work.
I went out today and followed your suggestions. Just balancing one reel and swapping out lines saves a bunch of fiddling around for sure! I started with a 5wt and it felt too light with very little loading. Put on a 6wt and it felt a lot better and was loading the rod nicely. I didn’t have a 7wt floating line but I had an intermediate I fish a lot for larger fish in shallow water. I have to admit, having never cast bamboo before it was a very different feel and somewhat awkward with the 5 & 6 wt lines. The 7wt int. was like I had been using that rod most of my life, it was butter smooth, with nice loops and it loaded beautifully.

So, I think it would be worth whatever it costs to get a reel seat mounted and smooth out the cork a bit. Any of you guys interested in “side job”?

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I’d guess 80-90% of the older Monty’s 8-1/2’ will be a six weight, maybe an even higher. But sometimes bamboo rods get picky even within a “line weight” with some wanting a more aggressive or more gentle taper, which is not a very technical way to say that. So once you find the right line weight, you might find another line in the same weight that works even better with that rods taper. It’s part of the fun if you want to look into that rabbit hole.

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
Steve, bring it to the Fling. I can run it down to him. Get it back in the fall. Shipping would be a pain…

Mike Monsos

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I’d guess 80-90% of the older Monty’s 8-1/2’ will be a six weight, maybe an even higher. But sometimes bamboo rods get picky even within a “line weight” with some wanting a more aggressive or more gentle taper, which is not a very technical way to say that. So once you find the right line weight, you might find another line in the same weight that works even better with that rods taper. It’s part of the fun if you want to look into that rabbit hole.
It is true that bamboo fly rods are sensitive to line tapers, and also manufacturers. I have come to like the 406 fly lines out of Montana to fit my rods and casting style. You might even be able to go to a 6wt line from a different taper or manufacturer. Buth there is nothing wrong with tossing a 7WT if that is what feels good.

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
It is true that bamboo fly rods are sensitive to line tapers, and also manufacturers. I have come to like the 406 fly lines out of Montana to fit my rods and casting style. You might even be able to go to a 6wt line from a different taper or manufacturer. Buth there is nothing wrong with tossing a 7WT if that is what feels good.
Mike, 406 is the one line that seems to work well on the most rods. I don’t know why that is but otherwise picky bamboo rods all seem to agree on those 406 lines.

Islander

Life of the Party
Just want to thank everyone for their input. Plus a big shout out to Steve K. (@Bambooflyguy) who convinced me to give it ago my self, answered all my questions and helped me with part resources. It’s now fish able and mostly period correct. I found a Pflueger 1495 1/2 in great shape on eBay which should help balance out this 9’ beast. Just need to spool up the line and then I’ll take it out for a maiden voyage tomorrow.
IMG_2314.jpeg