REMINDER TO GET APPROPRIATE FISHING LICENSES & PARKING PASSES!

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Is there a key, flowchart, or guide to follow. Hard to keep track in Washington.
None that I know of....and resource enforcement folk will tell you it's your duty to ferret it out of the seasonal pamphlets.

Or you could depend upon the minimum wage folk at big box stores to guide your selection. 😅

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I've been getting the same license for years, so pretty simple. Fresh / Salt combo with a side PS Crab.
I want to start digging steamer clams again this year which I haven't done in a long time. I believe that is included in the combo license, but I'll need to check.
SF

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Two pole this year? The year I had it I didn't use it much. It's only a few $, need to decide.
Don't forget to put your license plate number on your discover pass, the state park ranger wrote me a warning one year.

Divad

Whitefish
I got a ticket (later removed) for the Discovery Pass but I had a valid one in my window. The kiosk printer ink fades so badly after a couple months that it’s hard to make out.

The National Park, Discovery and Vehicle Access passes all get taped to the windshield in the corner for the year. I was told encasing the discovery in uv protected tape might void it…🥴 so I guess it’s on me to protect the ink 😆

krusty

Forum Supporter
I got a ticket (later removed) for the Discovery Pass but I had a valid one in my window. The kiosk printer ink fades so badly after a couple months that it’s hard to make out.

The National Park, Discovery and Vehicle Access passes all get taped to the windshield in the corner for the year. I was told encasing the discovery in uv protected tape might void it…🥴 so I guess it’s on me to protect the ink 😆
The fade issue is why I no longer buy them from the machines but go to park headquarters.

The state did replace them when they faded, and also when they decided my old license plate needed replacing...and no longer corresponded to the numbers on the pass.

Last edited:

Divad

Whitefish
The fade issue is why I no longer buy them from the machines but go to park headquarters.

The state did replace them when they faded, and also when they decided my old license plate needed replacing...and no longer corresponded to the on on the pass.
Isn’t the other style considerably larger than the receipt kiosk pass? If it’s not I’ll go that route this time, mine expires this month.

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Here is a summary of how I see the pass / access situation. The key is to understand that the state and feds don't share revenue, and therefore you need to know whose property you are trying to access. Ostensibly, the funds paid by these passes support the boat launches and other facilities at these sites.
1. You do not need any passes to fish at Blue Creek or the Salmon Hatchery on the Cowlitz as they are maintained by Tacoma Power as part of their dam mitigation activities. [But you will need a WDFW access pass or Discover pass to park at the WDFW launches downstream.]. Similarly, most county or city parks do not require fees for access, but it is always best to check. However, some may charge a boat launch fee; in some cases, there is an option for you to purchase a seasonal pass if you are using that launch frequently.
2. The parking pass that you receive with your state fishing license provides access only on WDFW waters (e.g., Rocky Ford, Mann Lake). If you want to access other types of state lands, such as those administered by DNR or state parks (e.g., Dry Falls), you need a Discover pass (which also provides access to WDFW lands as well). While you can purchase one-day passes (often from kiosks), I prefer to purchase a year-long pass. It is a better deal in the long run. [Pet peeve... I do not want to write my vehicle license on my Discover pass because I bought the pass, not my vehicle. If I have purchased a pass, it shouldn't matter what **#*(% vehicle I am using.]
3. Federal lands (National forests (e.g., Coldwater and Leech Lake), National parks (e.g., Mt. Rainier NP), National wildlife refuges (e.g., Ridgefield NWR, Nisqually Wildlife Refuge), Bureau of Land Management land (important for the Yakima River) may charge daily / multi-day access fees. You can purchase daily passes, but a year-long pass (America the Beautiful pass for example) allows access to any type of Federal land anywhere in the country. An annual pass is $80/yr or if you are 62+, you can purchase a lifetime pass for $80 which does not expire). Often if you are camping at a location (e.g., Dry Falls), access to the lake is included. If you are only going to access Forest Service lands, an annual North Forest pass is a cheaper option ($30/yr).
4. Chopaka Lake is interesting because there is a state section and adjacent federal section. I typically have both passes with me just in case. And if you pay for camping, your access is covered.
Steve

krusty

Forum Supporter
Isn’t the other style considerably larger than the receipt kiosk pass? If it’s not I’ll go that route this time, mine expires this month.
I believe the pass that faded sort of slipped into a thicker hanger about the size of the Discover or WDFW/DNR passes.

Last edited:

Scott Salzer

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
You only need the two pole if you are going to FISH two rods at the same time. You can have as many rods as you want ON a boat. I generally carry three..... Bobber, leech type bug and an emerger. I like to have an emerger rigged up as some hatches don't last very long.

That Fed lifetime pass is great!

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Always buy your new Discover pass at the 1st of the month. ;)
SF

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Take out a loan and buy everything to be safe. All passes and endorsements. Then get a lawyer on retainer to interpret the regs and emergency updates. Easy peasy lemon squeasy, your ready to fish for the year.
...and then when the authorities come throw up your hands and surrender peacefully.