Releasing Barracuda

Fishues

Smolt
First of all let me start by saying Barracuda on the fly are awesome!
I've caught them from a boat and from a dock fishing in Mexico and released them by grabbing the leader and using pliers to unhook them. My question is when fishing on the flats while wading what is your go-to method for safely releasing them? Thanks in advance.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I'd just use the same method. Have some pliers on a chord attached to your pack or belt or whatever you have. No reason to do anything different that I can see.

Bonefish Jack

Steelhead
Usually, a barracuda is whipped by the time it is ready to be landed. And therefore, they are usually fairly easy to handle. I think you want to make sure the fish is tired. Then, after you remove the hook(s), hold the fish by the tail and revive it well.

Fishues

Smolt
Thanks for the info everyone. I’m just trying to make sure I don’t t ruin my trip with a visit to a Bahamian emergency room 👍🏼

Chucker

Steelhead
If I was going out with the intention of targeting big barracuda I think I would invest in a boga grip or one of the plastic fish grippers that does an equivalent job. If they were going to be an incidental catch it would be a tougher decision, as I really don’t like carrying around extra gear. I have had enough bonefish bitten cleanly in half by barracuda to treat them with a massive amount of respect.

mems

Steelhead
If you have to grab them do it behind the eyes. If you have Moana’s long handle de hooker that works like a charm. They do stink and the smell will stay with you. I did have a 30lber jump and put a 10/0 trail hook in my hand when we were Ono fishing. Kaku are to be treated with respect.

mems

Steelhead
I have seen the guides in Christmas Island stick a guava stick in the mouth so they can’t bite you. But they killed the cuda after they got the hook out.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have seen the guides in Christmas Island stick a guava stick in the mouth so they can’t bite you. But they killed the cuda after they got the hook out.
Kill and eat, or kill and release? Just curious if ciguatera is a problem on Xmas.

The Barracuda in Southern California are different. People eat them. I don't. They are the slimiest fish I know of. It has been said that they are the only fish in the sea that never gets wet (because of the slime). They fight hard, and tend to be a nuisance when targeting more desirable catches........I dated a girl named Sarah...they called her Sarahcuda....The above paragraph pertains to this woman precisely.. Therefore.....I suggest just cutting the line.

With all joking aside, I've found that just a cheap pair of very long "needle nose" pliers work well. They sell them with the tips bent over (I like that) and they sell them super long (I like that too). The teeth of these fish is obviously a danger, however a fish hook, combined with a thrashing 4 ft long Barracuda and your fingers can be very, very bad, (don't ask me how I know this). Watch out for the teeth, but be wary of any hooks involved as well.