Reel Refinishing?

dflett68

Steelhead
I bought an old SA System Two reel on ebay with two extra (3 total) spools. It's got the standard wear through the finish on the outside edges and I'm debating whether to leave it as-is or possibly remove the finish and go with bare aluminum. Seems like the potential cons would be reflection and the loss of whatever protection the finish provides against dings & scratches to the soft aluminum. The seller apparently did not look closely before listing the reel, because the 3rd spool is a mismatch - marked the same but a few mm wider than the reel frame and clearly made for a different model. I didn't need 3 anyway, and now I have this mismatched spool to experiment on and scavenge parts from.

Anybody know how these are finished and what solvent would suit the task, if any? A little rubbing with Acetone doesn't do much beyond clouding it a bit.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I bought an old SA System Two reel on ebay with two extra (3 total) spools. It's got the standard wear through the finish on the outside edges and I'm debating whether to leave it as-is or possibly remove the finish and go with bare aluminum. Seems like the potential cons would be reflection and the loss of whatever protection the finish provides against dings & scratches to the soft aluminum. The seller apparently did not look closely before listing the reel, because the 3rd spool is a mismatch - marked the same but a few mm wider than the reel frame and clearly made for a different model. I didn't need 3 anyway, and now I have this mismatched spool to experiment on and scavenge parts from.

Anybody know how these are finished and what solvent would suit the task, if any? A little rubbing with Acetone doesn't do much beyond clouding it a bit.
I suspect the finish on your reel is not paint but anodized aluminum which is much harder than the aluminum. I wouldn't mess with it. Use with all it's battle scars intact.

Bagman

Steelhead
I suspect the finish on your reel is not paint but anodized aluminum which is much harder than the aluminum. I wouldn't mess with it. Use with all it's battle scars intact.
A good anodized piece of aluminum would be very difficult to remove as the anodizing penetrates into the aluminum.

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Just what I had in mind. Nice work @Bambooflyguy and thanks for sharing. Did you fashion the handle on the second reel?
The 1494 is my first fly reel. I was ten in ’66, my dad bought me this and a 7’6” Phillipson fiberglass rod. I gave it a much deserved makeover years ago. Enlarged the spool holes, bamboo handle, wood latch cover/drag knob and added a brass/glass line guide. It gets to go fishing once in a blue moon.....

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Many years ago I tried stripping a Cortland Rimfly reel to get the bare aluminum “look”. It had a similar finish as the SA System 1/2 reels, which I think is a heavy duty epoxy enamel.

I used a pot of Jasco paint stripper and it did loosen and pucker the enamel, but it took a ton of handwork with sand paper to get into all the crevices. The result was very disappointing.