Recommendation for Backpacking the Sierras?

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'm probably going to get roasted for asking on a public forum...

I'm going to be down in Bay Area for a week in Mid August. The kiddo is going to have a "grandparents vacation" and I'm going to go out for 3-4 days with a buddy backpacking up in the Sierras. I used to live up in South Lake Tahoe so am fairly familiar with the area (but not necessarily in terms of fly fishing) but as I'm looking at maps, etc. I'm getting fairly overwhelmed with the options. Anyone willing to "suggest" drainages to check out. We'll be good with 10-15 miles per day and prefer creeks but happy to land at lakes. My dream is Golden Trout Wilderness but thats too long of a drive from my folks house in Sonoma Co. The Grand Canyon of the Toulumne is also a dream, but I'm trying to get another buddy to do that with me in September.

Totally happy to be told to fuck off, or talk in PMs

tim

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I don't think your question is roast worthy. But I also don't know enough about the area to be of much help either. For the amount of time you have, it seems like an approach from the west side might work best. And all of my experience and study of the area is from the east side. From the east side off Hwy 395 there are a lot of options to put together a 3 or 4 day hike with plenty of time for fishing lakes. I've put together a couple hiking routes I want to do that are off the 395. I'd love to hike the GTW to the upper Kern, but I may be aging out of trips like that. You might get some good answers on the High Sierra Topix forum; it has a fishing sub-forum where people try to be helpful without hotspotting.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I don't think your question is roast worthy. But I also don't know enough about the area to be of much help either. For the amount of time you have, it seems like an approach from the west side might work best. And all of my experience and study of the area is from the east side. From the east side off Hwy 395 there are a lot of options to put together a 3 or 4 day hike with plenty of time for fishing lakes. I've put together a couple hiking routes I want to do that are off the 395. I'd love to hike the GTW to the upper Kern, but I may be aging out of trips like that. You might get some good answers on the High Sierra Topix forum; it has a fishing sub-forum where people try to be helpful without hotspotting.

I'm with you, most of my routes that I've mentally put together all start off 395 (all those classic granite, high sierra routes.) I was hoping to keep the drive to 4ish hours so yeah, was hoping for it to be off the West side wether it was off 80, 50, 88, 4 or 108 doesnt really matter to me. To do the GTW, I was honestly figuring it'd be easier to just fly into LAX, rent a car and drive up, since it's only like 3.5 hrs from there. But that's for another trip.

Sounds good, Thanks Salmo, I'll check out that forum. My goal is as you said "helpful without hotspotting." It'not like I'm looking for pigs, just some 6-8" trout on dry flies ;)

Last edited:

Travis Bille

I am El Asso Wipo!!!!!
Forum Supporter
I did a trip in the Emigrant Wilderness a couple of years ago. I hiked out of Kennedy meadows and ended up at Emigrant Lake. It was a really rad trip. Emigrant Lake was cool, I found a great rock to stand on and got to sight fish rainbows cruising on a flat. I'd definitely recommend it

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I did a trip in the Emigrant Wilderness a couple of years ago. I hiked out of Kennedy meadows and ended up at Emigrant Lake. It was a really rad trip. Emigrant Lake was cool, I found a great rock to stand on and got to sight fish rainbows cruising on a flat. I'd definitely recommend it
Thanks Travis, I’ll look into that.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Might consider flying int Reno, a bit more of a drive, but you drive the heart of the Sierra all the way down. At least fly into Ontario and avoid driving across LA.
This is more of a future trip :). In all reality, I'd probably fly into Burbank and double up with a trip to my in laws.

In August, I'm actually driving down to the Bay with my kid, so will be focusing more on the Northern/Central West Sierras.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
My main recomendation is to bring whiskey!! When it gets dark and you're thinking bears the whiskey gets you thru. Also when it's cold at night you gotta slug q ton of whiskey to get you thru the night. Most important thing to have is several whoskeys.

Interesting. I figured you being Travers and all you wouldn’t need whiskey to fight off a bear or stay warm? Figured you fart in your sleeping bag to stay warm and punch a grizz in the temples?

Bugmeister

Staying Gold
Forum Supporter
I'm probably going to get roasted for asking on a public forum...

I'm going to be down in Bay Area for a week in Mid August. The kiddo is going to have a "grandparents vacation" and I'm going to go out for 3-4 days with a buddy backpacking up in the Sierras. I used to live up in South Lake Tahoe so am fairly familiar with the area (but not necessarily in terms of fly fishing) but as I'm looking at maps, etc. I'm getting fairly overwhelmed with the options. Anyone willing to "suggest" drainages to check out. We'll be good with 10-15 miles per day and prefer creeks but happy to land at lakes. My dream is Golden Trout Wilderness but thats too long of a drive from my folks house in Sonoma Co. The Grand Canyon of the Toulumne is also a dream, but I'm trying to get another buddy to do that with me in September.

Totally happy to be told to fuck off, or talk in PMs

tim
Will send a pm.

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
All I can say is I’m super jealous. I’ve done some high country lakes on the eastern side and it was phenomenal. Pure magic up there and pretty much every lake held fish. Looking forward to hearing your report upon your return 👍

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
The east side is special. There are some small lakes SW of Bishop that were absolute fave float tube destinations back in the day.
A very special place east of that area are the White Mountains, named so because their slopes are covered in dolomite scree, which nourishs the Bristlecone Pine tree, the oldest living trees on earth...the Methuselah tree in the main grove at 10,000' is close to 5,000 year old..even though it appears dead from a distance, it reminds alive with small patches of green pine needles. It is an amazing place well worth the time to visit if in the area.

1715227548088.png