Rare Rod Find: 1925-1927 Edwards trade rod

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Hey local gang, I love the early, rare bamboo rods and am particularly fond of Edwards made rods. EW Edwards was one of the four apprentices who worked for Leonard and who then went on to become some of the biggest bamboo rod pioneers in the history of the genre. EW also spent time trying his hand at professional photography which I find very cool. He tragically died young I believe in 1929 or 1930, but his two sons, Gene and Bill, went on to make thousands of great rods over the next few decades. Finding an "Edwards" rod actually made during EW's time at the helm is something I have never done...until yesterday. The Weber Henshall is considered the "best" Weber trade rod made by Edwards, and the Weber trade rods are considered the "best" of all the trade rods he made (which comprised about 1/3rd of his total rod making), so this model is both rare and considered highest quality. At 9-1/2' and 6.4 ounces it is a bit of a handful, but the tips are a dainty 4/64th so it feels relatively light in hand and perhaps a better rod for 30-60' than for hero length casting and large flies...at this point I'm thinking trout rod, not bulls or beach. But more testing needs to be done.

I have posted photos and details on the Classic Rod Forum to get feedback from the many experts who reside there, but I thought it would be fun to copy that post over here for anyone who's interested to view:

I'd like the group's thoughts on a fascinating rod I came across. This rod was purchased new by the seller's father who made his living for years as a guide in Montana. This rod has seen some time on beautiful waters, no doubt!

I have a copy of Patrick Garner's wonderful book "Playing With Fire" which has provided a handful of clues for me and I'll mention those. The photos are hopefully adequate, I haven't set up the good camera to give this rod a proper photo session but that's on my to-do list. Here's the description:

Weber Henshall

Serial number 1555

3/2. Length 38-5/8" each piece (one tip short by 2")

Weighs 6.4oz on my scale

Ferrules 18/12, appear to the the "bulb like fat-ring that is very similar---but not identical---to the ferrules found on the Edwards Perfection series from the brief Filbert Street period." -Playing with Fire, p. 131

Tip end is 4/64th

Grip is 7-3/4

Seat has no inscription, single slide band EDIT: The seat has a stamped inscription on the base cap:
"WEBER LIFELIKE FLY C"
"STEVENS POINT WIS"

Wraps are the Edwards style pongee tipped in purple

Condition: Appears to be original condition and mostly good. One tip is 2" short and appears to have been scarfed just beyond the last wrap near the tip end. The other three pieces are all full length. The full length tip has a modest set in the last 6". The varnish looks original and has a few small areas of light melt. The wraps are good with the exception of very slight tearing on the edge of the purple tipping at the base of the stripping guide. The original sock has a partial label. The original tube is in good shape but has no label or markings, I would guess it came that way.

So I'd love to hear any and all input on this rod, particularly its period of make, rarity and value.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Cliff

Steelhead
Ron, that's a gorgeous rod. I still have that modified Gene Edwards rod I bought from you in 2022. I haven't fished it yet, just lawn casting, but I hope to get out this spring with it for bass. I love the wrap colors on these rods, and the history is wonderful.

Cliff

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
You'll notice the color of the cane is a rich medium brown, not blonde. Patrick Garner titled his book "Playing With Fire" because EW Edwards was a pioneer in using heat to temper his cane. This is not only cosmetic but it also makes the rods slightly faster than an untempered rod, if my understanding is correct. If you put this rod side by side with a Payne, Granger or Phillipson, you'll see very similar cane tone. He definitely found a great method of bamboo rod making when he figured that out. This rod is likely made in the mid 1920's...it's nearly 100 years old.

patrick garner

Freshly Spawned
Stunning example!. These were usually medium fast. Date is likely to be late 1925 to 1929-ish, but it's always a challenge to be precise with Edwards-made Webers. The ferrules argue for it being an early example. N I C E.

flybill

Life of the Party
I don't know anything about the rod, but it's beautiful and has quite the history! I assume that book is out of print, I'll have to look around for it! Enjoy! I do have a very old silk line and some nice rods, but nothing that old!

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I don't know anything about the rod, but it's beautiful and has quite the history! I assume that book is out of print, I'll have to look around for it! Enjoy! I do have a very old silk line and some nice rods, but nothing that old!
Bill, that book used to be out of print and hard to find, but I believe its been newly printed again and at normal paperback pricing again. If you're into the history of bamboo and its pioneers it is good reading about one of the early icons. Edwards was also harder than most to track since he built so many rods under different trade names including a period just prior to this rod when he ran Winchester's rod making. So if you're lucky, you can find Eustis "EW" Edwards' rods under his own name, Winchester, Weber, Young, Thomas Wilson, A&F, and more. Or, you could (confusingly) find a rod signed "EW Edwards & Sons" that might be when EW Edwards was alive and running the shop, or might be after he passed and his sons were running the shop...if the bottom of the "w" is pointed its signed by EW, if it is rounded its signed by someone else and the signatures are otherwise identical, go figure. Anyways, I like this kind of stuff so the book is a great read for me. Highly suggested.

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Cool reel! Hmmmm, now I wonder what reels might be around that are badged "Weber Lifelike Fly Company of Stevens Point WIS"? And who on earth would have made them in the mid/late 1920s...And are there any that weigh at least 5.5oz, if not closer to 6oz to give the rod some balance? Let the search begin! .....Update....after perusing "Weber Fly Reel" on eBay, perhaps Weber's tastes in reels was a bit too eclectic for me unless I want to sport a bakelite reel under that Weber rod. This will require some extra thought.

Last edited: