Raising Chickens?

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Anyone raising chickens? How about those gold-colored Ameraucanas?

It was probably last year we gave our last hen out for adoption. For "reasons." Nonetheless, I do miss them for my own "reasons."

Other than fresh eggs and the calming effect of seeing them wandering about, pecking, clucking, and grazing (maybe better than a Valium?), there was always the gift of random feathers becoming a new and unique fly or fly variant. As a matter of fact, two nights ago, I noticed a stray feather from my last Ameraucana hen on my tying bureau. It had been sitting in a bowl I use to stage feathers in but overlooked due to prioritizing other patterns. From the picture of the bugger I tied, you can see how that hackle was dark at the base but golden brown at the tips. Tied in, you can see the effect. And fished? Yesterday, it was key in me having a double-digit day at a lake that typically humbles me.

Hook: Dai-Riki #710 Size 10 1X strong, 3X long
Black 8/0 thread
Copper Ultra Wire BR size to reinforce body and palmered hackle
Brown marabou tail
Peacock herl body
Hackle from Golden Ameraucana hen palmered

If anyone is raising those Golden Ameraucana hens, please let me know.

Attachments

• AmeraucanaBugger.jpg
    AmeraucanaBugger.jpg
    408.6 KB · Views: 31

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
When I was a kid we raised Rhode Island Reds, I definitely used some of their feathers 45 yrs ago on some concoction.

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
When I was a kid we raised Rhode Island Reds, I definitely used some of their feathers 45 yrs ago on some concoction.
When I had a RIR hen, back a good number of years ago, I tied some mini leeches from her dropped feathers. Strangely enough, the only trout that consistently liked them were cutthroats.