Rainbow Trout Mating Seasons

BriGuy

Life of the Party
Instead of watching the first half of the Seahawks game, I went to a fish a local lake. I was only on the water for about 2 hours, and I caught this chunky male rainbow and another like it within the first 6 casts:

1667791598730.png

I know they were males in mating season because they both had hooked lower jaws and they left "mating fluid" on the bottom of my boat floor, which you can see in the picture.

I'm aware that steelhead mate in winter, but I always thought the lake residents mated in the spring. It just seems unusual that these trout (stocked fish) would be spawning now. Is this typical of hatchery plants, or somewhat unusual.

Anyway, it was a great couple of hours fishing and I returned home in time to see the Seahawks win. And, I also saw the Rams lose. So, I'd call it a pretty good day.

-Brian

Last edited:

Smalma

Life of the Party
While native rainbow/steelhead are typically late winter/spring spawners that spawn time is a genetic variable that can be altered through selective breeding. Many of the various hatchery strains (brood stock) spawn timing have been altered to produce a fish that fits some needed. For example here in Washington long term various domestic brood stock May spawn between August and February. So, it would be surprising that hatchery produced/planted rainbow were spawning in sync with wild stocks.

Curt

BriGuy

Life of the Party
While native rainbow/steelhead are typically late winter/spring spawners that spawn time is a genetic variable that can be altered through selective breeding. Many of the various hatchery strains (brood stock) spawn timing have been altered to produce a fish that fits some needed. For example here in Washington long term various domestic brood stock May spawn between August and February. So, it would be surprising that hatchery produced/planted rainbow were spawning in sync with wild stocks.

Curt
Thanks for the info, Smalma. That makes perfect sense. I can see WDFW wanting to stagger the spawning seasons between native fish and the plants to reduce the chances of them breeding with each other. On that note, wouldn't they just sterilize them, like triploids, to prevent any such chance? Or, do they do both?

Anyway, I just found it odd that they were ready to spawn.

-Brian

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
It’s all good Brian! I’m thinking of being there Wednesday.......maybe I can catch some eggs for that fluid.....

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Ha Ha! Considering how often I catch a fish that can be described as a "slab", I can see how one might think that.

-Brian
That is a nice BBF (big beautiful fish).

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I caught a planted brood stock fish out of one of the lakes in the 7 lakes area. It had a tail that was worn down from living in a cement pond. It was bigger than what I normally caught so I towed it to shore. No net. When I took it out of the water it was spitting eggs out of it's ass.This was in the middle of summer. The eggs were a shade of orange and were almost clear. Plus when I baked it, It tasted like an old plank.