Rain!

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
With the week-long rain and much cooler temperatures coming to Western Washington, anyone planning on getting a jump on the fishing? In the rain?

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Sunday does look good and may be tempting to have one more go at it. There is a nearby lake accessible by the main highway with an easy put-in, no gravel or dirt road, no anchor or depth finder needed, just a rod , fins and a single flybox. Krusty and I fished it in the spring and probably landed 40 fish between us. Locals took their best shot at it all summer with powerbait and gear but it is difficult to fish without a boat and it appears that many fish have survived the locals and are prepared to winter over. Last week Freestone and I stopped by right at dusk to see it there were any rises. The lake was alive with fish taking on the surface! Some fish were surprisingly large in the spring and probably ate well since then.

No charm in fishing this lake since the highway is less than 50 yards away and even with almost no traffic it is still a distraction. But I think we caught 4 species in the spring including a nice tiger so it will be a vast improvement over staying home watching a Seahawks game! None of my buddies will drive 2 hours to fish this with me in iffy weather and I can't blame them. But I expect it to fish well with a 3wt and will drop a report if I actually get to go. I'm expecting at least one 16'' fish-not bad for a 13 acre pond.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
I know there's a line of thinking that insists fishing is better in the rain, but that is absolutely not my experience. At least not freshwater, and not in W. WA. General conditions like time of day and water temps still apply, but for a normally productive window like early to mid-morning, rain is not welcomed!
The last few days are very typical of my personal experience over decades: across multiple lakes, back and forth over the entire day, when the sun peeked out, fish started hitting everything. When it tucked behind a cloud, takes slowed way down. When it started raining, zippo.
I've had great days when a rainstorm is incoming, but as soon as those first drops hit the water, it's like an off switch is flipped.

Not the case for saltwater, tho.

Is anyone's experience with this radically different? Is there a secret rain-fishing technique I'm not aware of? :unsure:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I just like fishing in the rain…..because there are always less people.
SF

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
I just like fishing in the rain…..because there are always less people.
SF
I do like fishing when there are less people... so I go during the week 😉

As far as fishing success by the weather, opinions are all over the place...

Fishing by the Barometer | The Weather Channel

"According to *Spud Woodward, Assistant Director for the Georgia Department of Natural Resources Coastal Resources Division and an avid king mackerel and red drum fisherman*, fish are much more comfortable when there's stable high pressure, and tend to feed actively most anywhere within the water column. He also acknowledges the general cycles of high and low pressure and how fish react to them."

What Is the Best Barometric Pressure for Fishing? | Weather Station Advisor

"The best barometric pressure conditions for fishing are when the pressure is falling, and the weather is degrading. During this period of falling barometric pressure, fish will be very active. They will likely take any food you offer them"

How Barometric Pressure Can Affect Fishing Conditions | Acurite (my weather station mfg)

"After researching the myths and studies all over the world-wide web, here is what the vast majority has come to conclusion on when it comes to barometric pressure and fishing…
High Pressure (30.50 +/Clear Skies) - Fish bite Medium to Slow in deeper water or near cover while fishing slowly.
Medium Pressure (29.70 – 30.40/Fair Weather) - Normal Fishing using different gear or baits to meet the needs of the fish.
Low Pressure (29.60 and under/Cloudy/Rainy Weather) - Fishing Slows. Go at them slow in deeper water or near cover.
Rising Pressure/Improving Weather – The fish are slightly active. Go at them slow in deeper water or near cover.
Stable Pressure/Fair Weather - Normal Fishing. This is the perfect to try different gear or baits.
Falling Pressure/Degrading Weather - Best Fishing. The fish are likely to take anything they can get!!"

Understanding Barometric Pressure and How It Affects Fishing | In Fisherman

"Even slight changes in barometric pressure can cause big variations in fish behavior. One of the main reasons is that everything in the water sinks, suspends, or floats to the top. Changes in pressure act like minor changes in gravity, upsetting this delicate balancing act on a regular basis. Such rises and falls are compounded because objects weigh less underwater, which makes them more prone to ups and downs...
In the end, the key to consistent catches is understanding how barometric pressure and other mitigating factors - both natural and human-related - affect fish behavior on your favorite lakes, and adjusting your fishing tactics to match."

1666461600181.png 1666461541906.png

Last edited:

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
Per my weather station since 0314 hours today
Screenshot_20221104_210203_My AcuRite.jpg

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
We got one inch, nice. Rivers are way up, and they even filled the reservoir as Mill Creek got a huge push. Can't remember the last time we got a winter of fishing in that lake. Not fishing today but I'll say woo-hoo anyways.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zak

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Screenshot 2022-11-04 at 4.35.27 PM.png

This is where I spend my time from first rains of the season on, comparing two rivers that become one where I sit and hoping river left peaks well before river right does so they don't add up to one huge crescendo of fury.

We had 4.12 inches of rain yesterday measured 4 miles from here but all that matters ever is what happens upriver and in the headwaters southeast, or Olympic foothills north. Sun just came out so running out to document this rare November occurrence..

Last edited:

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
I’ve had some great rainy days fishing central and eastern WA lakes. These have often resulted in a soaking, not because my rain gear leaks, but just being out in a steady rain all day eventually wicks water up sleeves and down necks. At times chironomids come off especially thick once the rain starts.

If I had the freedom to reschedule for better conditions, I might. ;)

Islander

Life of the Party
I do like fishing when there are less people... so I go during the week 😉

As far as fishing success by the weather, opinions are all over the place...

Fishing by the Barometer | The Weather Channel

"According to *Spud Woodward, Assistant Director for the Georgia Department of Natural Resources Coastal Resources Division and an avid king mackerel and red drum fisherman*, fish are much more comfortable when there's stable high pressure, and tend to feed actively most anywhere within the water column. He also acknowledges the general cycles of high and low pressure and how fish react to them."

What Is the Best Barometric Pressure for Fishing? | Weather Station Advisor

"The best barometric pressure conditions for fishing are when the pressure is falling, and the weather is degrading. During this period of falling barometric pressure, fish will be very active. They will likely take any food you offer them"

How Barometric Pressure Can Affect Fishing Conditions | Acurite (my weather station mfg)

"After researching the myths and studies all over the world-wide web, here is what the vast majority has come to conclusion on when it comes to barometric pressure and fishing…
High Pressure (30.50 +/Clear Skies) - Fish bite Medium to Slow in deeper water or near cover while fishing slowly.
Medium Pressure (29.70 – 30.40/Fair Weather) - Normal Fishing using different gear or baits to meet the needs of the fish.
Low Pressure (29.60 and under/Cloudy/Rainy Weather) - Fishing Slows. Go at them slow in deeper water or near cover.
Rising Pressure/Improving Weather – The fish are slightly active. Go at them slow in deeper water or near cover.
Stable Pressure/Fair Weather - Normal Fishing. This is the perfect to try different gear or baits.
Falling Pressure/Degrading Weather - Best Fishing. The fish are likely to take anything they can get!!"

Understanding Barometric Pressure and How It Affects Fishing | In Fisherman

"Even slight changes in barometric pressure can cause big variations in fish behavior. One of the main reasons is that everything in the water sinks, suspends, or floats to the top. Changes in pressure act like minor changes in gravity, upsetting this delicate balancing act on a regular basis. Such rises and falls are compounded because objects weigh less underwater, which makes them more prone to ups and downs...
In the end, the key to consistent catches is understanding how barometric pressure and other mitigating factors - both natural and human-related - affect fish behavior on your favorite lakes, and adjusting your fishing tactics to match."

View attachment 37655 View attachment 37654
The best time to fish?………Anytime you can!